ZX1.4 very reluctant starting.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

ZX1.4 very reluctant starting.

Post by AndersDK »

Right -

I should know.
But its X-mas, and right now the in-laws are stranded in my driveway with a near-dead '95 ZX14 reflex 3door.

The starter cranks the engine fine, but the engine wont fire.
Whats the most likely problem - as a first quickie ?

(yes - I'm pulling on my workshop overalls and finding my toolbox, but it takes some time before I've found the problem I recon :-k )
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's just a cunning move on the part of the in-laws to saty at your house over Christmas Anders :lol:

"Sorry, we'll have to stay because the car won't start"

First quick checks will all be electical. Make sure the fuel pump is running. can you hear it whirr when you first turn on the ignition?

A total non-start will invariably be a loss of something electrical. Check all connectors are properly home.

Anders, I don't know why I'm telling you this :roll: This is the kind of stuff you tell others every day :lol: :lol:

Is the immobiliser doing it's thing? If it's a keypad type, is the green light coming on OK. If it is remaining locked when cranking, it'll bleep.

If it's just very reluctant to start and runs very roughly, check the pipe leading to the MAP sensor if the sensor is mounted away from the inlet manifold. It perishes and/or blocks up.

Has it got petrol in it? Not the first time I've gone through all the checks just to find the tank is dry!!!!

Hope it sorts out Anders and in any case, a very happy Danish Christmas Image
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Thanks for your merry answer Jim 8)

I didnt get a chance to open the hood, before my own BX disappeared with the in-laws. They were pretty busy trying to reach the church.

We'll see tomorrow ...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

happy crimbo Anders

which church is that the one with pumps,nuts and mince pies on the counter

TEA HE

regards malcolm
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Unlikely, but it happened to mine once...

Try cranking with the accelerator pressed, in case the idle stepper motor has died.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Thanks guys.

Cristmas is no excuse :lol:

Well in this case it was very simple :
Both battery clamps had been cleaned off, and smeared with copper grease inside.
The plus clamp was not tight, so a layer of burnt grease had worsened matters.
A little wriggling with the plus clamp, and the engine sprung into life first try.

When he is back with my BX, he will be busy cleaning up the mess in his own car :lol:

If the problem persist, I will however try a play with the (IN-)famous dual Bosch injector relay.
Years ago I had exactly this relay teasing me for weeks in a 206 :roll:

BTW : cheers malcolm :-$
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Anders, excellent :D So pleased it turned out something nice and simple...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...