Leaking HP is this an easy fix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Leaking HP is this an easy fix

Post by admiral51 »

I have discovered a small but worrying leak from my HP on my 1.9TD.

It is dripping down onto the alternator and eventually dripping off the bottom of it,i assume its running right through it :cry: :cry:

i cant find my camera at the moment so will try and describe where its leaking from
On the top of the HP sat to the back (windscreen) edge is a metal pipe that sits through a 19mm nut/thread that screws into the HP.the leak is from the join between the 19mm nut/thread and the surface of the HP

Im hopeing that it is just a seal that has perished and that it can be replaced in situ any ideas gratefully recieved :) :)

Colin
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Colin, I would be very surprised if the seal had perished. With LHM the seals just don't rot. Have you tried just nipping up the union with a spanner to ensure it is tight? But not overtighted, as that distorts the seal! :?

It might be worth having a look at the pipe with the engine running to see if you can spot any high pressure leaks from the pipe. What is the pipe diameter, as that would identify whether it is a feed, very high pressure, or a return pipe?

I did have a phase of going through HP pipes on my old estate, due to an old accumulator sphere not working properly, so the pipe took all the pressure. I had problems with stress fractures because of it, even though all the clamps to hold the pipe were in place.

I would think Martin at Pleaides has the solution.

By the way, be very careful when looking at the pipes under pressure, as the LHM can squirt in all directions and an eyeful is not a pleasant experience. Safety goggles? :roll:

Handyman
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

You're in luck there Colin, the leak will be from a rubber seal that's located in a ridge around the larger union, a common problem. The seal is available from dealers for just a few pence, fitting involves depressurizing the system then undoing the unions but bear in mind that a fair degree of LHM will start to syphon out when you've undone everything so place plenty of rags underneath the pump to avoid soaking the alternator.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks for the replies
Have had a look on the citroen site and have found what i think the part number for the o ring is
0000402687 HYD OIL O-RING 1,28 GBP 1,47 GBP 1,47 GBP

can anyone confirm that this is correct as i may need to order by phone tomorrow as i need to be at a school in cricklewood by 7.30 am and i ought to get it done before i go to Scotland
Is it just a case of depressurisuing the system and unscrewing this particular union or is there more to it :oops: :oops:

Cheers

Colin
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I think its the other ring (no 4 in the diagram) 4026 88. I have a few of those in stock, so if you're driving up to Cricklewood tomorrow and fancy a quick stop off to collect one let me know. Failing that pm me your address and I'll pop one in the post.

The procedure really is that simple, all done in less than half an hour :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks for the offer Richard but i have 1 of 3 32' x 10'6" x 9' portacabins to be delivered to a school and have been given instructions as to which routes we are allowed to use both in and out something about lots of cars and not very wide roads :lol: :lol:

i will have a go at seeing what i can find in the dealers if no luck then i will gladly take up your offer of snail mail :D :D

Cheers

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
Thanks the Richard for the help and advice but i have had to admit defeat on this particular "easy" fix :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately it would appear that this leak has been ongoing for some time its just i hadnt noticed it due to its very small seepage from the seal :oops: :oops:

Having tried with a normal 12mm spanner it was slipping off and Richard kindly pointed me in the direction of a specialst spanner :)
I managed to get a selection from a hardware shop and even that wouldnt shift the B^$$£R. It transpires that someone has been there before me and its been slightly rounded off :evil: :evil:
Im now having to hope that its leakage is not going to cause me any problems on my journey to Scotland tonight but will update once i get to BIL.........hopefully :lol: :lol:

Colin
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The leakage can very well caue a problem, LHM can kill altinators.. Ive had a couple now were a leak was left, then subiquently and altinator was needed.. You could a bit more vicious and possibly use a pair of mole grips to undo the pipe... I had to do this on one of the cars.. UGLY and untidy I know but got there in the end...

rgds
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Just a quick update on this particular problem

The stubborn union was finally released by using a small set of mole grips mine were of the "Stone Age" variety and left no space to hold the 19mm union :oops: :oops:

A word of caution in leaving the leak until a later date mine decided to drip all over the aux belt and was carried around all the rollers and pulleys and came very close to cutting the belt as it was sliding over the rollers i got real lucky...... again :oops: :oops:

Colin