Xantia V6 4HP20 transmission sick? A long way from home

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Post by deian »

http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/va ... aining.pdf

That'll be what you need.
And it is an official technical document, so don't be confused by the espace bit in the url.

this auto box has applications in other cars too.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Heres the Xantia-specific circuits from RP7483 on...

4HP20 Wiring Diagram

4HP20 Harnesses

4HP20 Component Locations

There's an awful lot of electrics around the 4HP20 :shock:

Dei, that's an excellent manual you've posted up there :D

All our best wishes are with you in getting it sorted :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Thanks Dei and Jim :D :D :D

Just to be more fun, the transmission worked perfectly when I tried the car this afternoon (it was definitely faulty this morning).

I think that the symptoms are exactly those described on page 243 of the manual (point 6):

"No drive, lever in position D, whilst an imposed gear has not been requested previously then no gear changes after returning to position D ... Note: This fault is combined with the absence of the gear lever locking (position P not recognised)."

If this is the case, then it seems to be caused by a faulty switch. Funny that this one fault on the switch "Short circuit to positive on line 4 of the multifunction switch" is appearently common enough to be mentioned in the maual.

I would suspect that the problem is copper filings creating a conductive track on the insulated part of the switch (just like the fast ticking indicator switch).

I will be ready with a multimeter next time it happens.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have been without internet for a few days, but since I threatened the car with documentation, it has been working perfectly.

I have found that if the connector to the multi-switch is unclipped from the transmission, and the wires stretched upwards, you can leave the connector in a position where the voltages can be checked with the air filter in place. So I am jsut waiting for it to happen again.