Mud Traps / rustproofing - ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arry_b

Mud Traps / rustproofing - ZX

Post by arry_b »

I was washing my ZX this weekend and got around to sticking the hose into the rear wheel arches. On the near side, I got a lot of mud out and the wheel arch seems to be very high compared to other cars I maintain.
Is this a particular problem area for corrosion (mine was fine - no rust), and are there any other areas I should look out for?
Off topic slightly - but is the ZX particularly well rust proofed? Mine seems to be - especially compared to a friends Lancia Dedra of the same age. The Lancia has fallen apart over the last year, both structurally and mechanically. The zinc coating seems to have been exhausted and the underseal lifted, and the rust has grabbed the floorpan and rear wheelarches.
Whereas the ZX remains mechanically sweet and rust-free.
Any hints on keeping the rust away?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Take the trim panel off in the boot and look at your arches from there, you may be in for a shock if is anything like mine.
Get some gobbo in the sills, one of mine has rust perforation.
Remove the plastic scuttle cover and gobbo round the place, especially where the water runs away at the sides, also there can be a semi permenant damp patch due to leaf debris and dust.
Dave
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Thanks for the advice Dave, I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so my Waxoyl will at least come out of the tin then it's going on the car! So far I've checked the back wheel arches and I appear to be one of the lucky ones, no rust to be seen and the metal under the sound deadening pads is nice and solid.
One question though - do the arches rust through from the outside in, or the other way around?