clubxm forum down?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Any help I can be, just ask! I'll be more than happy to...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've been following the CXM thread and it really does show how much we rely on these forums, I wouldn't have been able to do half the stuff I've done on the Xant without the FCF.
Its certainly a good job that these forums collaborate, offering shelters to each other, makes you feel proud to be a member!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Jim - Thanks very much for the offer

Kev - Didn't know there were other Citroen fantics in my part of the world. :D

All - I thought it only right to inform Noz of our thoughts, so have emailed him. The email connctions on the XM site don't work but some of us know each other so should be possible to contact those most concerned.

Peter.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote:I've been following the CXM thread and it really does show how much we rely on these forums
I'm very concious of that Kev and that's the prime reason I devote a lot of time to looking after the forum, keeping an eye on it's performance and general housekeeping.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

Just a thought, I've been talking to a friend of mine who lives in Essex, he tells me that they're having loads of trouble getting an internet connection, some days it's as good as 30mins other days not at all.
This is due to a problem with some tunnel somewhere. Engineers have been putting new systems in place in readiness for the 2012 olympics, but the tunnel now has problems and very limited access even for the engineers.

Just wondered if this has anything to do with our problems. :?
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's interesting Ken :wink: Must be jolly inconvenient for regular users and might well go to explain why the BXC and FCF occasionally go a bit on the pedestrian side. We seem OK up this wway though.
ken newbold wrote: Just wondered if this has anything to do with our problems. :?
No, by the looks of it the problem is a corrupt database.
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Could be but I think that was more recent - it was reported last week on the Beeb's website. A tunneling machine had fallen into an older tunnel and chewed up hundreds of cables and fibre-optical links. Most of it was repaired within 24 hours but they were still struggling with the rest, mainly feeds to cellphone towers.
xmexclusive

Future of Club-XM

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

Have been giving this a lot of though over the last couple of weeks while waiting for Chris and Noz to get Club-XM back up and running. I have now reluctantly concluded that it does seem that a new XM site is needed. While I appreciate Citro Jim's offer of a sub-section on here I do not think we should put at risk any existing established Citroen Forum. There are ownership issues regarding the historical Club-XM stuff. Importing that very useful Club-XM member posted technical content could lead to all sorts of problems for the new location so my conclusion is that it has to be a totally new and independant site.

John
Xmexclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Quite agree John.

If you do go down the route of a new, independant XM forum, there may, just may, and no promises, be a possibility that you could be hosted on our servers. It has the capacity and already hosts another Citroen forum. That way you'd be spared a lot of the difficulties in initially setting up a forum and would reap the benefits of our technical support and backup regime. Adding a forum to a host is like having children really; the first one is tough going but as you have more so it becomes easier...

Despite sharing hosting, the forum would be totally independant from this one.

The only potential snag is that would mean the majority of Citroen "eggs" are all in one basket so to speak and if the host goes down they all go down...
Jim

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Peter.N. wrote: Kev - Didn't know there were other Citroen fantics in my part of the world. :D
Neither did I Peter :D I say there can't be too many 2.1 black XM Hatch's about, I remember seeing one on the A377 in Crediton heading towards Exeter a couple weeks back, wasn't you was it :wink: The paintwork was spotless :shock:

If a new forum was setup, couldn't it use the FCF/BXC webserver (in theory 99.9% reliable and fireproof) and a separate SQL backend hosted by another willing member, the three forum databases could then be replicated and then in theory, none of the forums would ever break, would this work :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi PeterN

There is even a black N***YBL 2.1 exclusive car just turned up on ebay currently located somewhere in the New Forest area.

John
Xmexclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi John

Yes, I saw it, but its an auto, goes against the 'YBL' tradition :D I'm afraid I'm not in a buying situation at the moment anyway.

I was going to contact you regarding the the web site to see what you thought. I reckon that most of the contributers are still available so information to establish a new one is there for the asking.

Kev - I was in Tiverton a few weeks ago, but I wouldn't describe mine as spotless, it needs a good clean.

Peter
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Hi all,

Jim, thank you for your very kind offer of a subforum and (potentially) hosting.
At the moment I do currently have a domain name and server which can host any new site in the interim, however depending on how things transpired (i.e if Club-XM did come back up), and issues with content etc, it may well be prudent to think about sharing the hosting.

Peter with regards to informing Norrie, I believe that's the right thing to do. Everyone does appreciate the time and effort he has put into Club-XM, but the current situation (which is totally beyond his control, and in Chris' hands), shows no sign of changing, so we have to do something.

Ciarán
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Ciaran

As you are the one who knows the technicalities of these things I think we should follow your recomendations. I am sure that there are club members, including myself, that would assist in any way we can.

Peter.
colinxm
My Cars:

Post by colinxm »

So this is where you've all been hiding :shock: thanks to Ciarán for showing me the way :D Glad to have found the "gang" again - it's been like losing a friend !
My trusty (Haaa ha ha...) XM is off the road again so it'll be nice to cry on your shoulders again !

So club xm forum is still pretty much dead in the water so what's the plan - shall we set up a squat on this forum (I like it so am planning to continue here anyway so long as they'll have me) or shall we start again elsewhere ? don't suppose there's been any more info from Chris or Noz ?

Cheers, Colin.P