Xsara matrix changed, antifreeze smell still exists

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ebod
My Cars:

Xsara matrix changed, antifreeze smell still exists

Post by ebod »

My 2002 SX HDI-110 has just had its dash out for a new heater matrix. The local garage struggled with it and it will have to go back as the heater controls are all KB'd ( hot-cold control & fan blower stopped working!! )

In truth...I just want rid of this car but I can't sell it until the heater controls are sorted and the smell has subsided.

Its already had a new rad last year as part of its head gasket problem. The head never popped, it was just gassing the water system. I often wonder whether last years pressurisation of the cooling system weakened the heater matrix.

Whoever buys this car will probably inherit a decent motor as its cooling system is sorted and the engine front end was refurbed when the HG was fixed ( i.e. belts/pulleys/water pump ). But its got 140k miles now so its worthless for a 52 plate.

- So , how long would it be before the smell dissappears ?
- Is £1500 too much to ask for a high mileage Oct-02 SX-HDI with FSH and two owners ( Citroen Leasing & me ) in otherwise good condition?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ebod, I'm sorry to say I reckon they might not have cleared the debris of dried and crusty antifreeze out of the heater box when they replaced the matrix. From experience with a matrix change on a Xantia, a lot collects in the bottom of the compartment where the matrix sits and it's not an easy job to get it out. I used a damp rag on the end of a long rod and a hoover. If not removed thoroughly, it's going to carry on smelling.

You're not mistaking the smell for the "new matrix smell" are you? A new matrix smells distinctly "oily" for months after changing it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

oh gawd! don't tell me that smell is not going to go away....

Its deffo coolant smell, not oily.

My heater controls all worked fine before it went into the garage. Now I'm dreading the disturbance has wrecked them.

I really hate this car now, can't wait to get rid of the thing and buy Jap
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

ebod, sorry to hear of your problems but buying japanese is'nt the answer. My wife mitsubishi galant has been reliable but it is expensive to run - short service intervals and extortionate prices for parts, not to mention shocking fuel consumption. She what kind of a job the garage do when you take it back THEN make a decision.

My xantia is doing a passable impression of the Rms Titanic - the rear of the car is leaking through the tailgate and has saturated the boot carpet (it's an estate) to the point where there were two puddles under the rear seat - my first instinct on seeing this was to get rid as it will be a bugger to dry at this time of year.

I have resealed the plastic inside the tailgate and I have removed the carpets to dry them - if I sold it I would only get a few hundred for it and end up buying some body else's crap.

Better the devil you know.......
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

Bren wrote:Better the devil you know.......
Yes...my Xsara is a devil.....and don't I know it.

1500 quid for a 52 plate Xsara...any takers so I can buy a Honda?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Bren wrote: Better the devil you know.......
I totally agree Bren :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...