Xantia - Link between blower and brake lights?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sl4yer
My Cars:

Xantia - Link between blower and brake lights?

Post by Sl4yer »

OK, here's an odd one...

I was doing some Citaerobics tonight, since the Activa has been sat most of the week, and it seems to be having some sticky HC issues. Anyway, I happened to notice that when I press the brake pedal enough that the brake lights come on, the heater blower speeds up slightly! This is totally repeatable (at least it was earlier). Other lights don't seem to have any effect, only the brake lights.

Does anybody else have this 'problem'? Or any ideas how or why this could happen? Hopefully it's not leading to an expensive repair.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I've noticed this too!

It's odd, if slightly worrying but I've not had any obvious problems so assume it's just a quirk as it were (as if Citroens don't already have enough of them :lol)
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

It must be a case of "They all do that Guv" as I've noticed that one at least one of mine in the past, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What if the pump is kicking in while you hold down the brake, thus loading up the engine? It then responds in turn with an idle increase, which slightly ups the voltage.

My blinkers definitely blink faster at speed.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

addo wrote:What if the pump is kicking in while you hold down the brake, thus loading up the engine? It then responds in turn with an idle increase, which slightly ups the voltage.

My blinkers definitely blink faster at speed.
Nice idea, but I don't think it's that. It happens completely in time with the brake lights going on or off, not when the pedal is actually pressed (if that makes sense). The car was parked with the handbrake on - it's not like I was using the brakes to stop it, and the spheres are pretty good anyway. I didn't notice any change in the engine speed, and it wouldn't normally react that quickly anyway.

Will try the indicators tomorrow!

Anyway, glad to here that it's not unique to mine! :D

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

I noticed the same thing on my Xsara just the other day...must be a Citroen thing...I have however had to replace the brake light switch in the past as it was stuck solid...and it only does it when the brake lights are actually illuminated, not when depressing the pedal it seems.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90