2.1TD Aux. Belt Tensioner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

2.1TD Aux. Belt Tensioner

Post by CitroJim »

In doing my routine car checks this morning, I noticed the auxillary belt was making more noise than it should. Long story short, the spring tensioner is seized solid and is no longer a spring tensioner! In fact the belt is not really fully tight now, even with the eccentric tensioner adjusted fo full eccentricity.

service.citroen indicate that the 1.9TD and 2.1TD are identical in regard to auxillary belts and tensioners. They do look the same.

Before I go spending my pennies, can anyone please confirm the GSF part numbers are correct for what I'm after please:

N13179B RIBBED BELT TENSIONER

13354D ALTERNATOR BELT-6PK 1690

For the belt, service.citroen quote either a 1725 or 1735 depending on the A/C compressor fitted and yet the GSF one is a 1690. Is that OK?

Might explain why they're such a fight to get on, needing the spring tensioner to be fully retracted.

Many thanks :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

On my 1998 2.1td Mk2 with aircon Auxiliary Belt Number 6K 1736 8628466680 GSF part number N13344

Its length is marked as 1740

Don't think the tensioner is the same as the 1.9 either

Rory
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Rory,

That's most helpful :D

The 1690 belt is for the early 1.9TD with the shouldered allen bolt trension adjustment.

Now, I see the tensioner part number is different for the 406 as well. N13171..

So, question is, is the tensioner listed for the Xantia also the early one?

Confused :?

According to service.citroen the tensioner is the same for the late 1.9TD and 2.1TD and they certainly look the same...

I'll give GSF a bell in the morning I think and ask them to describe each tensioner to me.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

I had this issue too. And from what the mechanic told me the part that I wanted wasn't the same as the 1.9td otherwise I wouldn't have sold the car.

Maybe certain parts of the tensioners are the same, but I would very much doubt it will be the same as the 1.9td, the engines are both XUD's but the 2.1 is different in many ways.
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Looks like the spring is the same for diesels with aircon - Cit part number 575181 Not cheap at about £70 from Cit, notice GSF have them on e-bay for £43. But probably well worth doing as I've now had an auxiliary belt "jump" twice, causing strips to come off which got inside the cam belt cover causing the cam belt to slip knocking the timing out with unpleasant (and expensive) consequences.

Rory
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jim,

They changed the tension arrangement on the 1.9 about 1997 / 1998 to be the same as the 2.1. There was a long thread when Deian was talking about his, and David Woollard changed the tensioner on his (late) 1.9: Aux belts

At the top of page 3 there is a post by me with a link to some photos of the worn out tensioner from David.

As you say the only way will be ask GSF exactly what you are getting.

Bit of a pig to change AFAIK, alt and HP pump out to get the bracket out, since you can't get the through bolt out with the bracket on the car....
Richard W
deian

Post by deian »

My 2.1 was a facelift 1998, if that is any help. Didn't know the tensioner arrangement was different for the 1.9 later, this was a more expensive option compared to before the change I would think.

Anyway, I'll sit back and watch now. Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Richard, Dei,

Many thanks, especially for the Pictures :D That's exactly what my tensioner looks like.

I reckon it's possible to replace without disturbing the alternator and HP Pump if my memory is correct and the lower spring stud has an Allen head. I have some log Allen keys that have a 3/8" drive socket and I reckon, looking at it, that I should just be avle to get in there despite the oil cooler pipes being in the way a bit.
rory_perrett wrote:GSF have them on e-bay for £43.
Do you mean this one here Rory? It looks like mine!
Jim

rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Nope item number 280286459664, must learn how to do linky things one day - but I fear life is too short with so many cars to fix.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I got my new tensioner yesterday after ordering it from the GSF eBay Shop on Monday. Good service, given the time of the year :D

Today, before the light failed, I had a quick look at mine to scope out the job of replacing it.

I found mine jammed in the "up" position. I released it by leaning on a bar in the retraction hole. It's working again now after exercising it a bit and it's relatively safe (I think) but I find the bearings have been replaced by three'penny bits :lol: rather than working smoothly, it's working more like a ratchet.

I reckon I see now what happens. It ratchets up to its "up" position, jams there and the belt pops off with potentially disasterous consequences.

I just need time and weather now to get the job done. Time is the killer for me. I have precious little at the moment and when I do it's dark or wet :evil:

Speaking of wet, so is the interior of my Activa :cry: :twisted: Another urgent job. The windscreen scuttle trim seal has failed...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not really having a fun prelude to Christmas are you Jim.
I hope there is a reversal of this before the weekend.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Not really having a fun prelude to Christmas are you Jim.
Indeed Steve :( You can say that again! Still, overall it's not too bad, the Christmas shopping is nigh-on done and who knows, Christmas day and Boxing day may just be the perfect days for getting the cars sorted :lol:

Token gesture to the family on Christmas morning and then full-on Xantia with soggy carpets hanging over the banister :lol: :lol:
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citrojim wrote:
myglaren wrote:Not really having a fun prelude to Christmas are you Jim.
Indeed Steve :( You can say that again! Still, overall it's not too bad, the Christmas shopping is nigh-on done and who knows, Christmas day and Boxing day may just be the perfect days for getting the cars sorted :lol:

Token gesture to the family on Christmas morning and then full-on Xantia with soggy carpets hanging over the banister :lol: :lol:
Wow, aren't you going to be the popular one :shock:
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

You're going to hang a Xantia over the bannister? :shock:
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: Wow, aren't you going to be the popular one :shock:
I can tell you Steve, I was feeling very, very :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: last evening.

Thankfully, today has been a real cracker of a day :D :D
reblck68 wrote:You're going to hang a Xantia over the bannister? :shock:
I tell you Richard, if I could, I'd keep my Activa in the house. Front door's not wide enough though...
Jim