damp footwell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

damp footwell

Post by Bren »

The n/s rear footwell on my xantia is soaking - I think the damp is coming in via the door. I had a problem with the tailgate but I resealed the sheet inside it with silicone sealant. Any ideas? Not only is my glass frozen on the outside but I have to do the same to the inside as well - just what you need on a december morning.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
craigmanc

Post by craigmanc »

Is it an estate or saloon?

If it is an estate it will prob be the tailgate membrain and you aint sealed it right!!

It is dead common and prob needs replacing as they crack up and leak
19 years Citroen Tech. Old School Consultant Technician!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

craigmanc wrote: If it is an estate it will prob be the tailgate membrain and you aint sealed it right!!
That's a distinct possibility. The membrane is not easy to seal as the edges want to constantly curl away and getting a good seal demands something with a good bit of stick about it. Generally, stuff that comes in a tube will not cut the mustard.

I found caravan bedding mastic (the stuff used for sealing awning rails) that comes on rolls is the ideal stuff. W4 make a good product.

Have a look at this thread for more details.

Don't forget the tailgate sealing rubber can also let go and allow water in if it is worn or split.

If the tailgate is not the culprit, the passenger door membrane may be leaking in the same way as the tailgate.

And if the car has a sunroof, check the drains are clear and that the drain pipes at the rear actually go right through the tops of the rear inner wings and are not dumping their water directly in the boot.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

thanks for your input gents - I have had a good look and it is the tailgate at fault - I have a loadspace liner in my car, when it was removed, well, you've guessed it the carpet was soaking wet - not to mention the puddles of water under the rear seats. As you said Jim, the edges of the plastic cover had curled up leaving a gap - copious amounts of sealant and a covering with gaffer tape has been the order of the day. There had been a previous problem here as one side of the cover had been secured with tape - there was no evidence of leaks on that side so the tape has done its job. Lets hope its a cure or I will have to get my waders out.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You may find that careful use of kerosene to "clean" and expose new material on the black sealant, then warming with a hair dryer, will aid in achieving a good seal once again.

Also look for leaks on the tailgate outer - they may leak around the wiper post.

Regards, Adam.