Do hydraulic citroens have better engines?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Do hydraulic citroens have better engines?

Post by Quackers »

Whilst waiting for my Activa to rise this morning i was just thinking, are the engines in hydraulic citroens better?

My reasoning for this is, i've heard that most engine damage/wear is whilst the engine is cold, in the first few minutes. Well on a hydraulic citroen the first 30 seconds you spend with the engine at idle, whilst in a normal car, you would be off and up to much higher revs. Over the lifetime of the car, would this actually make a difference to the engine's condition?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've often thought the same. It's got to be a help although saying that, I've seen some mechanics revving the nuts off a cold Xantia hoping it'll make it rise more quickly :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

I see lots of so called ethusiasts hammering their engines from cold, it makes me cringe!!!

I would never do that to any car, and further more, it's not JUST the water that needs to warm up, the most important thing is the oil if you want to cane it.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm one to just amble off down the street with a cold motor - less than 20MPH for the first minute or two. Occasionally I get an impatient tailgater behind me, in the quiestest parts of suburbia!

You can certainly feel when it starts to warm; the motor runs more smooth and willingly.

Cheers, Adam.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Thats a good theory Quackers, it certainly won't do the engine any harm so it must do a little bit of good at least.

citrojim wrote:I've often thought the same. It's got to be a help although saying that, I've seen some mechanics revving the nuts off a cold Xantia hoping it'll make it rise more quickly :twisted:
I must admit that when I first got my Xantia, I used to rev it up to about 1700 rpm to build the pressure, only lasted for a month though when I realised that it got up just as fast when idling :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair