Help - Cold driver!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the-fat-controller

Help - Cold driver!!!

Post by the-fat-controller »

My 2000 Xantia (2.0HDi SX A/C), has a couple of small problems I've just noticed.

First, is that the temp guage seems to sit a little cool, operating normally around 70 - 75 degrees. This in turn means that the heater hot air output is cooler than it should be. My last 1.9TD SX used to run all day at 90.

Secondly, is that around the area of the handbrake lever, near the airbag switch is damn cold!! There seems to be a draught around the area, but I can't find where it's from. The end of the handbreak does seem to be colder than other areas, so I'm wondering if there's somewhere under the centre console that may be open to air drawing in from outside?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!!

Regards,
Lee.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

A loose gear lever gator is the obvious suggestion.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the world of high-efficiency diesels in the winter Lee :twisted: I get the same cool running in my 2.1TD and I believe the HDi, beingt hat much more efficient is even worse. Six miles to work in the winter and my 2.1TD struggles to get fully warm..

The old 1.9TD was a lot warmer, I agree. It warmed up faster and ran hotter as a result of it's lower efficiency. More heat went to waste; in the HDi more of the heat goes to doing useful work and hence why they run so cool in the winter.

Sadly nothing much can be done except to await the spring. Even blanking the rad won't help as the thermostat is mostly closed in any case. Rad blanking is fraught with danger in any case.

It is worth checking the thermostat is working properly though by running the car up to temperature and feeling the rad and top hose. Make sure it gets suddenly hot as the thermostat opens and does not slowly warm; indicating the thermostat is stuck open.

A bleed of the cooling system may help, just in case there is an air-lock in the system restricting water flow through the matrix.

I'm sure you'll find it all in order and that what you are finding is just the nature of the beast. Ultimately, get a petrol Xantia for the winter. My Activa is hot before I'm out of my road...

The chill wind is more than likely either travelling up the handbrake cable hole or the rubber gaiter around the gearstick is perished and letting in cold air. Pull up the leaterette gaier and have a look-see. It could also be the handbrake cables have been replaced at some time and the insulation around them where they exit into the engine bay has not been properly refixed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Help - Cold driver!!!

Post by DickieG »

the-fat-controller wrote:My 2000 Xantia (2.0HDi SX A/C), has a couple of small problems I've just noticed.

First, is that the temp guage seems to sit a little cool, operating normally around 70 - 75 degrees. This in turn means that the heater hot air output is cooler than it should be. My last 1.9TD SX used to run all day at 90.
Having a further think on this, was your TD a S1 Xantia? If so then the temperature gauges are different, on S1's horizontal is 80 degrees whereas on S2's its 90 degrees so you may be a little confused with the temperature comparison, on both versions the temperature gauges are not particularly accurate.

Also does your HDi take an age to warm up? It may have an additional heater which isn't working (take a look at my blog) prior to repairing it the heater output was poor at best, even when the engine was up to temperature.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Cold Driver, I could suggest 28.6 south by 153.5 east. :wink:

I actually have noticed the significant heat radiating from the centre tunnel with no console or front carpet. Jim's comments on a petrol engine getting warm fast, certainly ring true.

Also I assume you have one of the OEM radiator "plugs" that clips in and then obstructs the lower grille?

Regards, Adam.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Help - Cold driver!!!

Post by Homer »

the-fat-controller wrote: First, is that the temp guage seems to sit a little cool, operating normally around 70 - 75 degrees. This in turn means that the heater hot air output is cooler than it should be. My last 1.9TD SX used to run all day at 90.
This would suggest the thermostat is stuck open, hence coolant is constantly pumping through the radiator. The thermostat would normally restrict it to the engine and heater matrix during normal running in cold weather.
niggle
My Cars:

Post by niggle »

My 2.0 HDi Berlingo takes about five or six miles to get to a stable temperature, settling at about 80°C after peaking briefly at 85°C. Some heat comes from the heater before this but it does not get cosy until about 10 miles at the moment.

This is despite me being in Cornwall where the temperature outside is quite mild and we have not seen a frost yet this year. Mind you the size of the Multispace's cabin does not help I suppose :roll:
2005 Iron Grey Berlingo Multspace Forte 2.0HDi : work horse
1980 MZ TS250/1 "Supafive" (seized)
1998 Kanuni MZ ETZ301 (needs conrod)
2005 Black Eye Purple Mini One: family pet
niggle
My Cars:

Post by niggle »

My 2.0 HDi Berlingo takes about five or six miles to get to a stable temperature, settling at about 80°C after peaking briefly at 85°C. Some heat comes from the heater before this but it does not get cosy until about 10 miles at the moment.

This is despite me being in Cornwall where the temperature outside is quite mild and we have not seen a frost yet this year. Mind you the size of the Multispace's cabin does not help I suppose :roll:
2005 Iron Grey Berlingo Multspace Forte 2.0HDi : work horse
1980 MZ TS250/1 "Supafive" (seized)
1998 Kanuni MZ ETZ301 (needs conrod)
2005 Black Eye Purple Mini One: family pet
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's been like Siberia in the rest of the UK Niggle. I envy you down there in the tropics :lol:
niggle wrote:settling at about 80°C after peaking briefly at 85°C.
That little peak and fall in temperature is an excellent indicator that the thermostat is working perfectly. If an engine does not show this, it's a fair indication the 'stat is tired.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I'll second both your statements, when I was up Milton Keynes we had a decent bit of frost/ice every morning, yet down here, it's just a case of a flick of the windscreen wipers to shift the nearly melted frost off most mornings.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair