Xantia EGR pipe come adrift

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaskin
My Cars:

Xantia EGR pipe come adrift

Post by Gaskin »

I've had the usual Xantia fast idle problems in the past, cured with a new blue solenoid. So when the same symptoms returned recently I assumed the valve had gone again. I finally got round to trying to sort it out today, and the blue valve is OK but the pipe from the green EGR valve that presumably goes to the inlet manifold was flapping in the breeze, having parted company with the manifold. I couldn't see where it should attach, so I've blocked the pipe off. So 2 queries:

Any problems with leaving it like this, or does the manifold hole need blocking? Presumably it is not too good to have unfiltered air feeding in.

Where is the pipe attached? So I can etiher re-attach it or block the hole.

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
nick
My Cars:

Re: Xantia EGR pipe come adrift

Post by nick »

Gaskin wrote: Any problems with leaving it like this, or does the manifold hole need blocking? Presumably it is not too good to have unfiltered air feeding in.

Where is the pipe attached? So I can etiher re-attach it or block the hole.
No problem at all in leaving it like this, in fact disabling the EGR is a worthwhile modification! The important thing really is blocking the rubber vacuum pipe (as you have done) so the vac pump doesn't lose vacuum or suck in dirt from the engine bay.

The rubber pipe would have been a push fit on a nozzle sticking out of the back of the EGR valve on the exhaust manifold, (rather than the inlet manifold). You don't need to block anything off there, it will neither let exhaust gasses out, or suck air in. The vacuum only goes to the EGR valve actuator, not the manifold itself.
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Thanks for the info. I'll leave it as I've got it now.

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k