xsara picasso hdi wont start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BodgerRodger

xsara picasso hdi wont start

Post by BodgerRodger »

parked the car up the other night all was fine. THe following morning the car just wouldnt start. I called the RAC out and after some faffing around informed me that tthere was no power going to the injectors.

Anyone got any idea if there is a fuse, relay etc for this......
what a possible fix would be, or even any other ideas.

Many thanks for your help
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The power comes straight from the ECU. Do you know if he meant no power or no switching at the injectors ? no switching could mean a possible crankshaft sensor fault. Did he check for fault codes ? If the ECU power fuse was blown the this would cause the problem but it would also mean the diagnostic machine would not talk to it. You should check all the fuses in the under bonnet fusebox & the interior fusebox although i would have guessed the RAC guy already did that ? assuming the fuses are ok I would disconnect the battery then remove the ECU plugs to check them as they are very prone to water contamination.

Just had another thought, If it's a 2 litre HDi then if the low pressure fuel pump in the tank is not working (can you hear it priming when you switch on the ignition ?) then it would obviously get no high pressue & the ECU would not authorise starting hence no power/switching to the injectors.
BodgerRodger

Post by BodgerRodger »

Yes it is a 2.ol hdi and there is no sound or priming when you try to start it.
So the question now is how do you check the low pressure pump and how do you replace it.

Many thanks
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You should hear the pump priming for a second or 2 if you just switch the ignition to the second position & listening under the car at the fuel tank. If its not priming
Try this, get a rubber mallet & go to the right hand side of the fuel tank, lying on the ground lean the mallet under & start thumping(not too hard) the tank at the lowest point & get someone to try & start the car while your doing it, you may need to crank it for quite a few seconds. if the engine starts then the fuel pump is faulty & needs replaced. You need to partially drop the fuel tank to replace the pump as there is no access hole under the rear seats.

Obviously double check the car is in neutral before getting someone to try & start the car while your arm is under it.