'98 Xantia 1.9TD Est - Front flexible brake hoses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

'98 Xantia 1.9TD Est - Front flexible brake hoses

Post by Malcolm »

Hi,
MOT passed OK but recommendation - Front flexible brake hoses!

Is depressurisation required to do this job as unless you apply brakes, surely there's no pressure?

Having had the spheres changed at Westroen, I have not had to depressurise the system. Having only 6 spheres, which doesn't sink much when engine off, do I follow the Haynes manual for 'earlier' or 'later' models?

Thanks
Malcolm
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Hi,
I've just read the Sticky so believe that's answered one question - in order to fully depressure an Anti-sink car you need to select LOW with the engine running, and then leave it running for a minute or so before switching off and opening the bleed screw.

The rear sphere is the Anti-sink is it not?

Still interested in why depressurising req'd.

Malc
Malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is always wise to depressurise the system while working on it as there is a lot of pressure there and it can be quite dangerous.
Citroen invariably stress this and while much of it is covering their collective derrieres there is a lot of common sense in it too.

While the brakes should not be under pressure anyway with the brake valve closed, why take a chance?

Depressurising and repressurising are so simple, along with bleeding afterward that part is probably going to be the least of your worries.
Corroded unions are a far bigger headache.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Get the car on high,
put axle stands under the jacking points at the front,
slacken the wheel nuts,
set it on low,
watch the rear sink and the nose lift up off the ground,
let it run for a bit,
stop engine and then undo the 13mm bolt on the pressure regulator by the accumulator, but only enough to make it hiss until the pressure is released.
Pinch the bolt back up.
Now you should have plenty of access with the wheels off to get to the brake pipes.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks for that. I appreciate the pressure involved in the system and as you say depressurising is the easy bit.
Malc
Malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: Corroded unions are a far bigger headache.
Not such a big worry on a Xantia :D LHM is non-hygroscopic (does not absorb water) unlike brake fluid and seized unions and bleed nipples are a comparative rarity.

It helps too that that there is usually enough oil from the engine to have kept most corrosion at bay from the end of the flexi where it joins the rigid supply pipe.

As a result, the flexis are not too big a problem to replace. The biggest headache is the constant dripping of slippery LHM from rigid supply pipe to the flexi. It gets all over your spanner and hands :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

there is absolutly NO need to depresurise the system to replace flexi brake hoses, and the bleed valve is 12mm

regards malcolm ( citronut )
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks for the replies guys. That was my initial thoughts on the depressurising Malcolm. As it was an MOT recommendation it'll wait until I have some better weather.

Thanks
Malcolm
Malcolm