'98 Xantia 1.9TD Est - Air Distribution Control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

'98 Xantia 1.9TD Est - Air Distribution Control

Post by Malcolm »

Hi,
Got a problem with the above which I should have sorted earlier. The above control lever will move from left to right but is only putting air out through the 'face level vent'. Don't know if this came about from a jolt when my son left the road up a grass verge.

He took off the facia bit with the controls and the cable, a double one I seem to recall, was still OK at the lever end but appeared to not be being pulled through from other end as one went slack when lever operated, I assume disconnected at other end, where ever that is.

Has anyone any familiarity with these controls? Is there an easy trick to resolve the issue?

I've also noticed a slightly damp passenger footwell carpet, touching with and tasting finger it sounds like heater matrix gone. I did this twice on a Pug 405 I had - having to remove dash board - I don't suppose there's any other way on Xantia either, is there?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Malcolm :(
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi Malcolm,

The wet passenger footwell is the classc matrix problem and in order to sort the control wires on the air distribution control would require the removal of the dash. :wink:

So, you solve 2 problems with 1 removal :!:

Kenny

P.S.There are plenty of threads on thi here on the forum.
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hello Malcolm,

I have the same problem with my Activa at the moment.

My Activa is a MK1 although it's an S reg. It's a very late MK1.

There are 3 cables on my controller and they each control a flap in the ducting. Two of the cables are connected to the top left slider which is used to direct air to the face vents or footwell or half footwell/half screen or all screen. One of these two cables is used to send air to either the face vent or to the footwell/screen. The second cable is used to direct the footwell/screen air to either all footwell or all screen or half and half.

The 3rd cable is on the top right and operates a flap behind the glovebox which allows air to come from the external duct or to be recirculated from within the passenger compartment.

So, in all, there are 3 flaps 1= face vent or footwell/screen and 2=footwell or screen and 3=external air or recirc internal air.

flap 1 is behind the centre part of the dashboard roughly behind the ashtray to the left.

Flap 2 is behind the centre part of the dashboard roughly behind the ashtray to the right.

Flap 3 is round the back of the glovebox at the left hand side of the dashboard.

In my Activa I think vent 1 isn't working properly and is stuck in the face vent position, so, I only get air to the face vents and can't get any warm air to the screen which is a problem on these frosty mornings.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks Kev,
I'll have to try and have a look this weekend. Certainly gives me abit of direction.
Malc
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci