ZX td - intercoolers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

ZX td - intercoolers

Post by sooty »

Has anyone fitted an intercooler to the front of the car from the standard position, and whats involved.
Also does anyone know of an intercooler that may fit with increased efficiency from a donor car (dismantlers).
I want increase the boost and modify the pump for more 'Power from the black stuff'.
Sooty [;)]
MarkS
My Cars:

Post by MarkS »

might be easier to put a scoop into the bonnet, and seal the existing cooler to the underneath of the bonnet so the air is force thru it. This would keep the overall pipe lengths short too, which helps lag.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I don't want to partically start cutting holes for Subaru type ducts in the bonnet, also you would still have the problem of the engine heat rising to the intercooler when stationary.
It has been suggested by someone that a Volvo 760 Turbo intercooler would fit and be large enough to increase the cooling of the charged air at a higher pressure of 17/18 psi from the standard 14.5 psi.
Any other donor vehicle to be suggested?
Sooty [;)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You can increase the efficiency of your existing intercooler by simply cooling it. I have heard of people arranging for water to be sprayed on the element in hot weather when they require maximum power, simply using a windscreen washer pump.
Jeremy
MarkS
My Cars:

Post by MarkS »

Not wanting to cut holes in your car is reasonable. But any heat rising from the engine is of no consequence because as soon as you move the incoming air will cancel out the warm air rising by a massive degree.
If I remember the ZX, the area in front of the rad is longish abut not very high, a later bonnet94 on would help. So you need a rectangular cooler, not a square one. Or perhaps 2 square ones linked.
Sounds like too much bother to me, but the Renault ones might do if you use 2.
Or what about using another ZX cooler, together with the existing one, mounted in the front?
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Hi Mark
I agree that once the car moves the air flow will cool the intercooler, but if you travel on the motorway as I do and you get caught in slow or standstill traffic especially in midsummer when the car has been travelling at speed with boost at 78/80mph, it gets a little warm. What worries me is the engine will still take warm air at standstill, even a crawl speed which isn't any good.
By fitting a intercooler in the lower part of the front, in front of the radiator is that when the fans start, it will cool and even when crawling the flow will cool the air intake far better than the current position.
Just for record the boost pressure on a level motorway with no headwind is approx. 10psi @ 70/80mph and if you go upto 90mph you are on nearly full boost, then its starts to get warm in midsummer. The Volvo intercooler is approx. 500x400.
Thanks for your comments
Sooty [:)]
MarkS
My Cars:

Post by MarkS »

Hi, I do think you are worrying far too much about the warm air at slow speeds. What you say, says it all, at "slow " speeds there is no boost used, and as soon as you move the warm air will soon be removed. And if you are so worried about warm air, if you put one infront of the rad, when stopped you will get some heat from the rad prior to the fans comming on, but it really does not matter. What ever, good luck