Xantia driving lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

darragh

Xantia driving lights

Post by darragh »

a friends 1995 Citroen Xantia has lost all driving lights front and rear
indictors still work and brake lights too
basically all the lights on the lerf side stalk are lost bit still has its indicators

a previous owner has done some rewiring and taken a power feed from the interior fuse box and spliced it to one of the pink wires into the stalk

the inline fuse in this additional wiring has melted and all lights are lost
should all the lights be relying on 1 power feed?

any help would be great as car is off the road

to recap
one power feed to the plug on the stalk apperars to power /control all lights is that right
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Darrrgh, welcome to the forum :D

Give me the exact model of Xantia and I'll post up the applicable factory wiring diagrams for you. This at least will help you to put the bodge right and work out what's gone wrong.

Sounds a bit nasty at first glance. I dispair of people who try to make an electrical problem "right" by bodging :twisted:

Hopefully it'll not be too bad to resolve.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
darragh

Post by darragh »

hi citro jim that would be a fantastic help
the details o
i have of the car is that it is a 1998model with a 1.8 petrol engine
sorry thats all i know for now
thnks a million for your help
darragh

Post by darragh »

oh i shoud make clear
the pink wire which is spliced at the stalk
when this is connect to the additional wire from the interior fuse box
all lights work
but when heads are turned on it will blow an additional 10 amp inline fuse fitted to the additional wire( the one from internal fuse box to pink wire at the stalk)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've not forgotten, just not got near my scanner for a couple of evenings. Tonight it will be done :oops:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
darragh

Post by darragh »

great
thanks a million
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Darragh -

Each headlamp bulb consumes 55watts at approx 13.3V (there is always some voltage loss from battery to the lamp sockets).
According to ohms law this converts to 4.15Amps - each bulb.

In total 8.3Amps.
Add to this the Amperage consumed by the side/tail lights, and you have well and truly exceeded the rated 10Amp fuse.

I'd say you should replace that in-line fuse with one rated at 20Amp or 25Amp, and then your headlights troubles are gone.
It will be fully safe to "uprate" this fuse.

The in-line fuse is there to protect against fire should a gross-fault occur in the modified wiring to the stalk switch, as the wire leading up to the fuse is DIRECTLY connected to the battery.

The previous owner who did this modifications at least had a good thought on safety 8)

PS : Haynes Xantia manual has good schematics on all standard electric equipment - including the lights circuit.
But it does take some time to read off the schematic how things are made up in the car ...
To name the first oddity, all wirings are identified by numbers printed on each wire, NOT the wire base colour ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
darragh

Post by darragh »

thanks for the help
i find it very strange that all the lights are working from one power feed to the stalk

or at least all the lights on this car now rely one the spliced in power feed

is this normal

cant wait to see the diagrams its very interesting
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi again darragh -

I have the schematics as well.
But I'll let Jim finish it off ...
(too many cooks etc. ...)
No you guessed right its not the original layout.
The original layout have 2 separate wires all the way from the fuse/junction box (at battery in engine bay).
One wire feeds the main lights, another wire feeds the dipped/side/tail/interior lights on the stalk switch.

This is more or less the "defacto" standard system layout found on any car, up to the beginning of computerised cars.

There are no fuses found in the original circuit feeds from battery to the stalk switch. I bet this has made the previous owner a bit anxious, as he might have had a small meltdown, given the fact your wiring is no longer the original system.
Hence the added in-line fuse.

Instead you find by a closer look, that each headlight bulb/filament have its own fuse - located in afore mentioned fusebox. This saves you from disasters, if a minor incident smashes a headlamp and then shortcircuits the bulb wiring ...

So there ARE in fact factory fuses in the lights circuits :wink:
Last edited by AndersDK on 04 Dec 2008, 21:18, edited 2 times in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here are the diagrams:

The first one is the schematic circuit:

Circuit

This is the component location diagram:

Locations

And this one is the loom diagram:

Loom

Using the three diagrams, you can see where each bit is and how the looms connect togehter.

The four digit item numbers can be found in the BoL.

Sorry for the delay in posting these diagrams :oops:
Jim

darragh

Post by darragh »

wow thats great
whats :oops: the bol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

darragh wrote: whats :oops: the bol
The Xantia Haynes manual, known as the Book of Lies :lol: :lol:
Jim

darragh

Post by darragh »

cool getting places with this now
can you tell me what b002 is
http://www.eastment.net/xanwd/1995hlloc.jpg

its clear to see in this pic at the bottom center box

thanks Darragh
Last edited by darragh on 04 Dec 2008, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

B002 is an earthing point Darrgh.
Jim

darragh

Post by darragh »

cool thanks a mil
earthing nice