AX overheating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simongardner
My Cars:

AX overheating

Post by simongardner »

I need help! My AX has a warning light that is constantly on and I have no idea what it is but I know it must be linked to the fact that it keeps overheating. I have replaced the thermostat but the light is always on - middle bottom of the dash, looks like an upside-down 'T' over a wavy line. And after a few minutes driving, it goes out and the temp light goes on because it is over-heating even though I am not losing water. Sorry but I am stumped and would really appreciate any advice!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dear Simon -
The upside down T over wavy icon - means an iconised glass thermometer stick over wavy water - translated : cooling water temperature (icon).
If the engine keeps overheating - you MUST persuade the problem - since it's a sure death cause to the cylinder head/gasket.
Here is some general advice to trace coolant troubles (on any car):
Get hold on a thermometer probe for a multimeter - or a thermometer gauge with remote sensor pipe.
Then tape the sensor on to the coolant radiator top hose. Find a piece of stone/glass wool to pack around for genuine temp reading.
Let your engine idle and observe the temperaure. The temperature MUST rise rather suddenly to indicate the thermostat opens correctly at about some 85-88 deg C.
After some delay - the radiator fan MUST cut in. If the temp rises further with no fan cut in, your fan or it's control circuit may be at fault - or the coolant system has an airlock or is clogged.
If the temp continues to rise with the fan turning, your coolant system is more or less clogged.
If the temperature is fairly constant about some 88degC and the fan keeps cutiing in/out at a slow rate - then your temp sensor is at fault if the instrument warning light keeps coming on.
If the temperature only very slowly rises, and the engine shows symptoms (feels red hot) on high temperature - then your thermostat is either faulty or fitted reversed.
Hope this guides you to the problem [:I]
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Don't know if all AX's are the same, but I had a '91 J GT (Mk.1) which overheated.
Upon investigation, not only had the thermostat failed but the cooling fan wasn't coming on either.
The thermostat was easily replaced, but the fan was more invloved.
After going around the circuit with a DVM, it was found that the earth to the fan ended in a common earth connection block, together with connectors from various other items.
This was 'sealed' only by a crummy plastic case whaich had filled up with dirt and grease. The result being the infamous 'dodgy earth'.
Once stripped and cleaned, the fan worked properly.
Unfortunately, overheating just once blew the head gasket(overheating an all-aluminium engine often has dire consequences).
So as has been mentioned already, get this problem sorted, and quickly.
You may also want to check that you have the correct volume of coolant with the right amount of anti-freeze in it.
Bon Chance,
simon.