C5 Series II (Facelift) cooling question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Morten
My Cars:

C5 Series II (Facelift) cooling question

Post by Morten »

My coolingfans starts to run on highspeed, when the water temp is right in the middle of normal temp. The fans runs for a few minutes and then stops. Sometimes when the fans run, the temp rise to a higher level. Had it checked on a Citroen garage, and they can't find anything wrong with the cooling system.
Anyone else with these symptomes?

C5 2.0i 16V aut series II.

Morten
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like the old Bitron Sensor problem that occurs on Xantias and the like. Essentially, if the temperature sensor in the thermostat housing fails open-circuit, the fans run at top-speed as a sort of fail-safe.

I've no idea if it applies to such a late C5 but it will be worth checking the connections to any temperature sensors in the vicinity of the thermostat housing/top hose connection. Anti-freeze can get in then and corrode the connections.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sorry to be vague about this but I have heard that a defect in the climate control system can give rise to this problem, either gas pressure too low/high or a fault with the compressor clutch.
Morten
My Cars:

Post by Morten »

Thanks for the help! I'll check out a few things before I have a chat with Citroen.