How hard is it to replace the alternator belt on a XantiaHDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

How hard is it to replace the alternator belt on a XantiaHDI

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi,
How hard is it to replace the alternator belt on a Xantia 2.0 HDI 9o bhp?
It has an automatic tensioner.
The reason I ask is because the power steering and alternator dont seem to be working normally, and the seems a good bit of slack in the belt itself, so therefore it think it has stretched as the auot tensioner seems at its max.
Are there any tips around at all

Paul.
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

In theory, fairly simple. I say in theory as I have only read up the procedure in the BoL.

I will however be doing this along with cambelt in the very near future hopefully. Mine is a HDi also albeit the 110 though this doesn't make a difference to the aux belt.

When buying a new belt you need to get the right length. If you have aircon, the length depends on the compressor fitted. You'll need to peek under the car (MAKE SURE THE CAR IS SUPPORTED SECURELY) to see which one you have. If you don't have aircon then the belt will be slightly shorter. The alternative is that sometimes the length is printed on the belt itself and if your lucky the print will still be present.

I know this doesn't help with how to do the belt but it's just a couple of things to consider. I will be able to help more once I've done my own but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some advice.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

You will save yourself a LOT of grief if you sketch the route before removing the old belt.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.