Crashed Xantia...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Crashed Xantia...

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Sad news....I pass a really nice clean example Xantia 1.8 16v LX on the way to work..Y reg MK 2 to be precise. The car is parked on the road, and somebody has hit it in the drivers rear quarter, ripping the bumper off, and really creasing the whole rear quarter.....looks to me to be a economical write off due to it's age and extent of damage...but I think it could be repaired with a bit of work...It's just clipped it, hasn't touched the boot lid.

If anybody is interested in it, i could pop a note on the car, and hope the owner will contact me or you about it....be quick though because it happened yesterday, so not sure how long it will be there for.

Rob
Last edited by Nuneatonrob on 26 Nov 2008, 14:17, edited 2 times in total.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Rob, do you think you could change the title you have used? The emotive words are not required for an unfortunate circumstance involving a tin box on wheels.

In a way it belittles the members of this forum who may have recently lost loved ones and the dedication posted at the top of this forum to the memory of Alan S.

It is nice to keep a sense of perspective.

Handyman
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Changed as requested..I am sorry If i caused any offence...it was totally unintentional....I have lost loved ones myself, so know what it's like....I am sorry if my ill chosen words offended.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Rob, thanks for that, not for me but other forum members.

As far as the car goes, sounds like it is substantial damage. Chances are the floor has been rippled and weld joints stressed, as cars are not designed to absorb crash damage from the rear, only the front and side. Quickest way to check is have a look at all the door closed gaps. If they are not similar and equi-distant along the gap, chances are body is distorted. It does take a bit of force to take off a bumper.

If it is a Cat C or higher, the insurance companies will not sell them to the public, only to their recognized companies to dismantle. They try not to let these cars being refurbished and sold on again.

Handyman
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nuneatonrob wrote:Changed as requested..I am sorry If i caused any offence...it was totally unintentional....
No worries Rob :) I see both points of view. I know full well how we can get very attached to our cars and to tell you the truth, I get quite upset when I see a Citroen in an unloved state or one that has suffered serious damage. Even seeing a Xantia in breakers upsets me a little until I plunder it for the good bits they can offer and then I cheer up safe in the knowledge that even though that particular one will never run again, it has helped keep others on the road. Hopefully, that'll be the fate of the one you saw.

As Handyman says, at the end of the day, they're just an inanimate object and quite replaceable. Trouble is, the more you do to them, the more attached you become to them, especially after a few adventures in them; I see precisely where you're coming from.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...