Help needed with suspension (spheres?)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the-fat-controller

Help needed with suspension (spheres?)

Post by the-fat-controller »

I have now bought a 2000 (UK) Xantia 2.0HDi SX. It's done around 125000 miles and, although it has a couple of niggly bits I intend to get round to - the suspension is the most requiring of time and rectifying.

When I stop the engine, the rear end sinks quite quickly - usually as I am just walking away. This is often accompanied by a groaning sound.

When I start the engine, the front end comes up quite quickly to normal height, but the back end can take 20-30 seconds.

The back end seems to run a little low - but that may just be my paranoia!
The ride quality definitely doesn't seem as nice as it should be though!

I've tried the "run the engine, then sit on the bonnet, get off and measure the ticks" test, and the clicking seems to be every 10-20 seconds - ish - it's difficult to hear!

Anyone able to give me any suggestions as to what I need to do with it?

Finally - a little ignorance here :( Are all the spheres different, or will "A" sphere go anywhere?

Thanks for any help,

Lee.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Your Xantia is now 8 years old and should be well overdue for a set of regassed or new spheres. They're most likely on the way out after 5 years.

Frequent ticking of the pressure regulator on the 'front of engine' Accumulator sphere is a sign that the Accumulator sphere needs to be replaced.

If the rear end is sinking, from what I can gather from all I've read on this forum it sounds like your rear anti sink valve may not be closing which probably means that your rear Accumulator sphere is flat (commonly called the anti sink sphere). I believe that the rear anti sink valve relies on pressure stored in the rear accumulator to close the valve once the main system pressure drops after you've stopped the engine.

It sounds to me like you need to give this Xantia a treat and replace all 6 spheres.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

To answer your question about spheres- yes, they are different. There are four different kinds on your car- front(x2), rear(x2), accumulator and anti-sink.

I haven't checked the prices lately but £140-ish should see a full set delivered to your door. If you only want to buy one make it the accumulator sphere.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Or wait a week and save 2.5% oooooooooo
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

2½% of £140 ... that'll be £3.50, thanks Alistair! :(

Three things when replacing the 'anti-sink' sphere:
1. Don't forget to order a new seal for the pipe connection.
2. First loosen the pipe connection, crack off the sphere then hold its flare nut still with a spanner as you wind the sphere off its mounting.
3. If you're changing other cylinders at the same time, fit an oily old seal to the anti-sink sphere to make it easier to undo next time.

Finally, have a read of the Sticky on changing spheres etc., and other threads on the subject.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
the-fat-controller

Post by the-fat-controller »

quote="Old-Guy" 2½% of £140 ... that'll be £3.50, thanks Alistair! :(

Hmmm..... and £150 extra tax next year to pay for it!!!

Seriously though, thanks for the help guys. I'm hoping to learn how to keep this thing on the road myself - thought it was about time at 44 :lol:

Quick question, take the point about using axle stands when underneath - is there anywhere obvious I should look at placing the stands? Can I use 2 at the same time, to take the whole front or back up in one go?

Finally, once the suspension is depressurised, will I be able to get them out to move them from front to back (or vice versa), or should I aim to do one sphere at a time?

Thanks,
Lee.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

the-fat-controller wrote:
Quick question, take the point about using axle stands when underneath - is there anywhere obvious I should look at placing the stands? Can I use 2 at the same time, to take the whole front or back up in one go?

Finally, once the suspension is depressurised, will I be able to get them out to move them from front to back (or vice versa), or should I aim to do one sphere at a time?
Lee,

I always get the car up on high and place the stands on the hardened jacking points of the sills (where the emergency wheel change jack would go) and then lowering the car down onto them. The stands I use are just a tad too tall and a trolley jack on the respective subframe is needed just to jack up a touch more to slide the stand in.

ALWAYS USE STANDS. NEVER RISK IT WITHOUT.

Do the rears first, up on higt again and move the stands to the front and repeat. If you have four stands, you can have the whole car up at the same time no problem. I have several times in the past.

Be careful removing the stands, the height correctors can get confused at first, especially if you've used four stands. Use a jack to jack the car up a touch to release the stands and bring the jack down very slowly, giving time for the height correctors to react. Otherwise you risk the car falling rapidly and either trapping the jack or doing damage as it crashes down on it.

Xantias are very heavy and on low, with the suspension depressurised, you'll find it exceedingly hard work to jack up high enough to get stands in and even if you could, you'll need a very slim trolley jack with a big low to high differential to get in in the first place. The car has hydraulics. Use them to do the hard work for you!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...