hydraulic pump clicking every 12 secs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hdirob

hydraulic pump clicking every 12 secs

Post by hdirob »

any ideas what would cause the pump to click every 12 secs i thought it was the front accumulator sphere at fault so replaced it but still the same.
any thoughts on what to look at next ?
its a 2.0hdi s reg xantia and has 8 sphere system (has the sports suspension button)
Rob
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be a number of things, regulator, distribution valve, height correctors, struts etc. I personally wouldnt worry about it, my XM has been clicking every 5-10 secs for the last 60k miles in spite of changing the regulator, pump and DVB, but it drives fine.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you have replaced the accumulator sphere located on front of the engine block, you should get longer tick intervals than 10-12secs.

Have you checked that the pressure release screw is closed on the PR, which is the mounting unit for the acc sphere ?
This screw is a protruding 12mm head bolt pointing towards front of car against the radiator.
Dont torque this bolt, just make sure its closed by turning it cw with a 12mm ring spanner.

Try check the tick interval at the available height settings with engine idle.
If the interval is much longer when the car is set to (and resting at) highest position, its likely to be the rear suspension cylinders leaking.
They will always leak the most at normal height setting, since this is the normal working position where about the cylinder is working and wearing its piston surface against the seal.
Once moved away from this position by the higher height setting, then the leak is minimised, thus the longer tick interval.

The leak can further be diagnosed by unplugging the reamost plastic hose from the rear cylinder bellow.
If the cylinder is leaking, you will have a flow out the bellow from this pipe hole.
Usually one sides cylinder is worse than the other.
But the other side is not far behind, as both cylinders have been exposed to approximately same mileage :wink:

The Xantia/XM front strut cylinders rarely leaks.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
hdirob

Post by hdirob »

AndersDK wrote: Have you checked that the pressure release screw is closed on the PR, which is the mounting unit for the acc sphere ?
This screw is a protruding 12mm head bolt pointing towards front of car against the radiator.
Dont torque this bolt, just make sure its closed by turning it cw with a 12mm ring spanner.
you are a superstar .........just been out to the car ,turned the screw 1 flat and now the pump clicks about every 50 secs.
much better now .... is this about right now do you think ? or would you investigate further
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wish that would work with mine. :(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

hdirob wrote:
AndersDK wrote: Have you checked that the pressure release screw is closed on the PR, which is the mounting unit for the acc sphere ?
you are a superstar .........just been out to the car ,turned the screw 1 flat and now the pump clicks about every 50 secs.
much better now .... is this about right now do you think ? or would you investigate further
I would lay down my head on my pillow : "aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh ...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
Enjoy \:D/
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
hdirob

Post by hdirob »

your a gentleman
many thanks for your help :D