ZX washer problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

ZX washer problems

Post by the_weaver »

I've had problems with the front and rear screen washers on my ZX for years and I was wondering whether anybody else had the same problems and whether there's a cure.

The problem is erratic operation. Sometimes, when I use the front washers, the water comes out of the rear washer. Other times, when I use the rear washer it comes out of the front washer. At other times, if I use the rear washer first then the front washer won't work for the next 30 minutes or so.

The problem happens all year 'round but may be worse in the winter because freezing and the need to get rid of salt on the windscreen complicates the problems. I get the problems even though I've got plenty of screenwash in the bottle.

I've replaced a lot of the system over the years to try and cure the problem but it's still present. So far I've replaced the washer pump, the front washer jets, the front non-return valve and the piping from the washer bottle to the front washers.

I think it might be a design problem. There's only one pump shared between the front and back washers. There are two outlet nozzles on the pump and the pump spins in a different direction for front and for rear wash. However both outlet nozzles are on the same chamber and so the system relies on the fact that the water goes out through the easiest route, depending on the direction of spin. I think the problem is that it only takes a minor blockage or resistance to flow on one route to make the other route the one that the water flows down, thereby creating the random operation.

So, my questions are:

Has anybody else suffered the same problems?

Is there a cure?

Paul
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have heard but have no personal knowledge to back this up that the flaps - non return valves in the pump are easily damaged by using screenwash not recommended by Citroen.

Methylated spirits is said to be particularly bad for them.

I have a similar problem on my C5, the arrangement is the same.
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Steve

I didn't realise that there were flaps in the pump. I'll have to see if I can find the old pump I took out, to see if there's any damage. I always use Halfords screenwash. I've never used Meths. It's interesting to hear that the problem is still present in newer cars like the C5.

Paul
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I had a similar problem on the Xantia, but something bad had happened to the screenwash as well, It had gone very gloopy and smelt like old gloss paint. I cured it by running the washers dry and running boiling water through the system. Then I took the pump out and poured several gallons of hot water in the top. Once I'd done all that I bought a new pump and everything was fine.

Operating the washers to empty then driving to work caused most of the car to be covered in a thick green shell of screenwash that wouldn't come off for anything until I tried WD40.

Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Here's a photo of the Xantia's screen wash pump. There is a two pin connector. Same pump serves for front and rear. I don't remember any flaps .
I guess the rotation is changed by controlling which pin gets the +12V.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that is how those pumps work by reverse polarity,

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for all the replies. The picture of the Xantia pump looks the same as the ZX one (from memory). I've checked on the gsfcarparts site and it lists the same stock number for the Xantia pump and the ZX pump. It doesn't have a listing for a C5 pump however. This makes me think that the ZX pump doesn't have any valves and because it was causing problems they added valves on the C5.

I'm still wondering what the best solution might be. In the past, I've considered just clamping the rear washer pipe, so that the front washers are guaranteed to work. It's not ideal but could get you out of trouble if you're stuck with intermittent washers on the motorway in winter, which can be a major problem. The other solution might be to clean the system out regularly but I don't think I should have to do this. Another option is to get a C5 pump with valves and see if I can retrofit it to the ZX. I suppose another option might be to fit some electrically operated valves in the pipework. I'm not sure if these exist.

Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

first thing i would do is just check the plug conector at the pump is clean and dry,

the only other things it could be are the firstly the wiper stalk and secondly the pump, as the stalk is what actualy changes the polarity that would be the first thing to check,

also these are known to fail

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Malcolm

I suppose it could be an electrical fault. I never thought of that (even though I'm an electronics engineer). I had to change the indicator stalk switch some time ago so I suppose the wiper stalk switch might be dodgy too. It's something I can look at anyway.

Thanks

Paul