Manual gearbox oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekaftan
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2006 C5 II Exclusive V6
1996 Volvo 940

Manual gearbox oil

Post by ekaftan »

Simple question: what oil should I use on a 1998 TurboCT gearbox?

Thanks...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would sudgest a thinish semi / fully sinthetic 70/80

regards malcolm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Use Total BV Gear oil as per the handbook, anything else will cause problems.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

DickieG wrote:Use Total BV Gear oil as per the handbook, anything else will cause problems.
Total BV oil = Total Boite Vitesse oil = Total gearbox gear oil.
Which will be of the viscosity grade 75W80.

Like DickiG points out, its the best for PSA gearboxes.

Please note that the viscosity grade 75W80 has nothing to do with the quality of the oil - nothing at all. Its only a measure of the oils ability to flow within a certain temperature range.
The quality (life expectancy and withstanding mecanical wear) is expressed by the API index.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ekaftan
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2006 C5 II Exclusive V6
1996 Volvo 940

Post by ekaftan »

Thanks. I will drain what ever is in there and replace it with Total BV. We have a local dealer...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

partly as Anders says but i always thought the figures such as 70/80 is just the viscousity, not the temprature range,

example
it was always said in citroen circles not to use DUCKHAMS 20/50 multiegrade in GS/A's and 2CV's, as it kept its viscousity at higher tempratures than other brands of the same 20/50 viscousity,

all that said with gear oil if useing a 80/90 it will cause problems like hard to engage gears,

also the hier performance of the car its best to use semi/ fully synthetic oil

regards malcolm
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Malcolm at al, we are talking about gearbox oils which are a different kettle of fish to engine oils.

Engine oils are designed to provide a means to transmit heat away from wear surfaces, and as such rely on their viscosity under different temperature ranges.

Gearbox oils are designed to provide protection to wear surfaces, not only by heat transmission but also by depositing a film against shear and compression stress. As gears slide across each other, there are elements of shear and compression stress, at the point of contact between the teeth. The polymer chains in engine oils do not last very long in these situations, so by using modified polymers in hypoid oils, the stresses are compensated by the oil film. These stresses are of a greater magnitude than anything found in an internal combustion engine.

Total developed a special oil for Citroen, because Citroen decided to use an aluminium alloy for the baulk rings in the gearbox which show a different wear characteristic than using other harder alloys. Use the wrong oil and you may induce advanced wear in the gearbox.

Handyman