Citroen Xsara Tyres - 185/65 R15????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

autocrazy

Citroen Xsara Tyres - 185/65 R15????

Post by autocrazy »

Hi

I have my front wheel alignment all messed up and hence ruined my two front tyres which were 195/55 R15 (standard size). Being a cheepy, visited a garage that sells part worn ones, he did not have the standard size, but offered to replace all 4 with 185/65 R15 Dunlops. The tyres were pretty good nick, so went for it.

Now, I also need to get the wheel alignment sorted, could anyone help me with the wheel alignments standard settings??? Will the different tyre size make a difference to the standard values???? Also if someone has any valuable comments on my move to slightly narrower, but higher side wall tyres. I don't see much difference in ride or handling, but yeah there is more tyre noise, but that could be attributed to make of tyres than anything else?

Cheers
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Even being a chepo myself i would never ever go for thinner tyres than standard, i've always gone for wider, the C2 was on 165s that were U/s Michelins and swapped to the GT alloys with 195 and they were much better.
Xantias i've had have been on 185's and been quite slippy mostly and swapped to Michelin 205s and the handling and grip has improved many times over.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

0.0-3mm toe out. No the tyre size won't make any difference to the tracking.

The replacement tyres will not grip as well but unless you are in the habit of high speed cornering it shouldn't matter to much, they should improve the ride comfort though.
autocrazy

Post by autocrazy »

Peter.N. wrote:0.0-3mm toe out. No the tyre size won't make any difference to the tracking.

The replacement tyres will not grip as well but unless you are in the habit of high speed cornering it shouldn't matter to much, they should improve the ride comfort though.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. The tyres were worn at the innner edge, which makes me ask, what about Camber angles? Castor I assume should be set at the factory and cannot be changed?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, camber and castor angles are built in to the design. If they were both worn on the inner edges that would indicate that they were towing out to much.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

The 185/65 tyres will make your speedo read under a little....

Check it out....

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual ... calculator
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer