Xantia Trims

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Thanks citrojim, addo and reblack68 for the replies. It was kind of relief to know that there are solutions for the trim problem. I have read the Dutch member's mail and also have found some others.

Next spring Xantia will shine again. 8)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

VertVega wrote:Thanks citrojim, addo and reblack68 for the replies. It was kind of relief to know that there are solutions for the trim problem. I have read the Dutch member's mail and also have found some others.

Next spring Xantia will shine again. 8)
Please tell us more about the "others" as the information could prove useful for other forum members.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

How do you power your webasto?
Does it sit inside the Drivers Side Wing?

Do you have a metal Undertray or is a plastic/rubber one?

Do you use a sump heater at all?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

citrojim, I have seen Ulanbataar from 10 000 m :) during my visit to Shanghai. In China I was surprised to see few Citroens (Xsara mostly) cruising though VW Santana was the most common vehicle on the streets. Great country, delicious food. I have also been in Russia (winter, summer) and the vehicles there just work without any visible winter pack :shock:

--------------------------------------------

ACTIVE8, the other solutions were available. In my opinion the worst solution was to strip away the the top protective layer and attach aluminum tape over the old trims. They say the thick tape stays better than thin ones.

Next solution is cheap, sounds OK but the tape is in a roll. Adhesive tape/list is made by 3M. How does it bend over the corners of front and rear bumper. You can google "Chrome Styling +3M". An example:
https://www.ragingspeed.co.uk/catalog/p ... cts_id=477
"5 metres on roll, 21mm wide, and 3mm thick. Product is pre fitted with genuine 3M adhesive tape, so simply cut to size and peel off the tape on the back and stick to your desired location! Simple! Easy Mounting and resistant to weather conditions and car washing. Non Fading. Highly flexible plastic material. "

A third solution is to buy Xantia specific produced trims. This was the most expensive and I think I can live without that luxury :)

--------------------------------------------

KP, Webasto is commonly in diesel cars. It uses car fuel and also power from car electric system. It is good if you mostly drive to places like "in the middle of nowhere". Otherwise there are electric (resistive) heaters for engine since the plugs are available in the parking areas at work as well. They can heat coolant or the oil base. Under tray is kind of hard plastic (or fiber glass?).
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Thanks for the trim info VertVega. 8)

We did not see Webasto's or Eberspacher's here previously on our diesels as our climate has not in the past been cold enough to warrant them, and the old style diesels did not require them.

Although that might change with global warming.

As the latest HDI diesel engines are thermally very efficient it means that the heater output can, and will be poor. Therefore we do now see these additional heaters, on many manufacturers vehicles here to counter the low output.
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi clogzz. :D

I wonder how the previous owner of your car managed without the window tint, the greenhouse effect must have been bad. Image

"We leave our cars unlocked at work, and one of my colleagues winds his windows all the way down, and leaves the key in the ignition lock."

"These pictures show the car parked outside my scrap of work in September of 2007 in the first picture, and last March in the 5 following pictures.
The windows are down by 2 inches, and a reflective sunshade is put behind the windscreen.
In summer, it’s 30ºC every day in the shade, with no variable weather; we’re in the sub-tropical zone."

I would be tempted to leave the windows down like you do, to counter the heat. Image

Although I am left wondering, why your colleague leaves the key in the ignition?

It's a pity there soes not seem to be a shaded parking area at your workplace to help counter the stong sub-tropical zone sun.

Do you have air conditioning at work, and in your car?
ACTIVA

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi ACTIVE8, :D

The previous owner of the car lived in Bateman’s Bay, east of Canberra, where it’s a lot cooler.
The car came without window tinting because it was a poverty pack model, and also lacks a rear central armrest, and some other frills.

My colleague leaves the key in the ignition because he spent most of his life on a farm in inland Queensland, where they’re not in the need or habit of having to secure anything.
We can also see and hear what’s happening to the cars from where we work, and we’re in a quiet cul-de-sac in an industrial grotto with very little passage.

My colleague’s habit of leaving the windows all the way down is not something I would like to do, because the sun may damage the seat fabric and plastic fixtures.
He doesn’t worry about anything like that, because he buys cars for about £1500, and keeps them going as time and money allow, then changes cars.

Good workplaces tout covered parking spaces as carrots, but where we live, called the ‘Gold Coast’, there are only very few employers who can afford such luxuries.
Most jobs here are climbing up ladders to drill holes in walls, and driving around in Hi-Aces with a ladder and sewer pipe on the roof.
There’s also plenty of work, not saying ‘jobs’, for shop girls, waitresses and chamber maids … cleaning up after the holiday makers.

Until about 4½ years ago, I lived in Sydney, where there were no problems at all finding proper jobs.
The consequence of moving to a resort town is that you can only get scraps of work with marginal employers who are dealing in small change.

We have a roll-about air conditioner at work, but we found that leaving the roll-up garage door open is the best we can do, as the high opening lets the hot air out.
We each have a pedestal fan, and I have to stay next to it all the time in summer, because if I straggle off for more than about a minute, I feel unwell from the heat.
My colleagues aren’t affected to the same extent because one is a native of inland Queensland, and the other one is a young Englishman who came here when he was 2 years old; so they don’t know any different.

The car has air conditioning, because in the price range they were expecting to sell, all the ugly competition had air conditioning.

We call our workplace ‘The Shed’, as it’s actually only a storage shed.
Pictures from the workplace in this bucket:

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/ ... ffee_Shed/

Hope not to get pulled up for straggling off topic. :lol: Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Clogzz wrote: Hope not to get pulled up for straggling off topic. :lol: Image
No worries at all Clogzz :D A bit of an expedition into off-topic land makes for a really interesting thread :D Having been a one time resident of Darwin I've been reading all this with great interest. Our problem up in the Territory was not so much with extreme temperatures but extreme humidity. You'll know all about that over on the Gold Coast but I don't think it's quite so bad for you is it? High 30s temperatures and 99.5% RH is a real double whammy. Our cars needed aircon as much to keep the screen demisted as to keep us cool!

How our threads can wander though. This started out as a topic on trims and is now discussing climatic extremes. I wonder were it will go next? :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Thanks for your tolerance, Jim. :lol:

I’ve been in Darwin’s wonderful dry winter with 26ºC days.
By October, it got sticky, and I fled back south.
Never seen any middle-aged or older people there.
It’s as if they work towards escaping to cooler places.

In Broome and Port Hedland, there were cars driving around with no bonnet, to let the heat out on 36ºC winter days. :shock:
Didn’t dare to venture inland from there, where Marble Bar is the hottest town in Australia … ideal place to build up knowledge of engine cooling fan switching. :twisted:

The Gold Coast always has a breezy sea frontage, even when it’s sticky about a ¼ mile inland.
We know station owners from western Queensland who come to spend the summer on the Gold Coast.
It’s ‘lovely and cool’ here, they said, when I was complaining of the heat. :roll:

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi Clogzz

Nice picture!

It's interesting reading about the warm Clogzz, as it's cold here :wink: Brrrrr, well compared to your temperatures it is. :wink:

Looking around earlier at tools, and equipment I came across this "crowd cooler."

It's like a pedestal fan turbo/supercharged! :wink:

The details on it can be found here it looks like the sort of fan that you could upgrade to if money wasn't an object, (obviously sadly it is) and your employer was feeling (if only) generous. (unlikely after reading about the perks they give you) :wink:

Is that common practice amongst some drivers/owners to leave their bonnet off, do they not get hassle from the boys in blue for doing that?

Reading about the leaving things unlocked, reminds me of a visit to friends where when I visited them, and they live in a small village.
The house was left unlocked during the day, the car was unlocked, and there was no concern for security as not being in a large town, meant they did not get the problems of the inner city.

It's a shame that in general one can't have a job in a decent coastal location, and have a variety of different jobs across a wider range of industry.
ACTIVA

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi ACTIVE8, :D

Hope the sunny picture warmed you up. 8)

Nice machine the crowd cooler, just what we need, and the boss would buy one if he found one at flea market price. Image
He’s actually a very nice man, a Scotsman who spent much of his working life in the Australian Navy, then improvised himself businessman after that.
Depending on how far we can wander off topic, I could tell of his previous car component business going belly up after he was caught selling green water as engine coolant, and other colourful stories, like taking home a worn mop that I had taken to work.

He’s not working with us, we’re at ‘the shed’, and he’s at ‘the shop’, a few minutes away.
The atmosphere is very relaxed, and I tell the young colleague that he’s made it, as working conditions are in this area: he can put his feet on the bench, and we now have roll-about chairs.

It’s quite common to see cars without bonnets in the outback and outback towns, though not in populated areas.
The police don’t hassle people for that, because they are well placed to know that rules made in distant, cool cities by bureaucrats in carpets and air conditioning, can’t be strictly enforced in the outback.
If there was an accident where the lack of bonnet would contribute to injury, then they would have to apply the law, but otherwise, they’re not being difficult for the sake of it.

Hope this picture has a warming effect: :lol:

VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Clogzz, I thought you and your collègues might need some chilling refreshment down there, at "the shed".
So I couldn't resist the idea of going out and getting a photo of my Xantia (1 hour ago). 8)

Sorry, off topic again.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Ha! Mine has the charming accessory of hot dried locusts stuck under its headlamp covers. :lol:

For those who wonder at costs of living in Australia, look what you can buy for €30 000:

I know this town, and while it's a bit "hillbilly" it's quite safe and free... (Well, except for the locusts!)

Cheers, Adam.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Thanks for going out in the stalactites, VertVega. :)
Les collègues and I are horrified Imageat that sight.
I hope that there are plenty of compensations for staying in such a country, as I moved to Australia because it was a warm place, but now I’ve overdone it.

-----------------------------

Adam, you’ve got the friendly locusts if they are under the headlamp covers.
I’ve had the nasty ones who choose the old Holden radiator instead, to reduce the cooling.
The Xantia came with headlamp covers, but I quickly removed them because they were a bit too thick at the top, and I had to push the bonnet down in a way that I was afraid would break the headlamps.

Your picture doesn’t download here, it may be too big for dial-up.

House prices are related to incomes, and that house is obviously somewhere that the only income is the dole. Image
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A new "PB". :shock: Admittedly the car was parked in some sun, but still, it was a stinker!