Xantia Trims

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Xantia Trims

Post by ACTIVE8 »

After reading the thread about estate car handling, and looking at the picture used by addo to demonstrate a point about wheel rims.

Here's the picture below.....

Looking at the picture, and the car looks very nice, with a suitable colour for a hot climate, and the tinted windows. 8) It made me wonder about how the shiny part of the trims on the doors, and bumpers fare in the hot climate.

Here in the U.K they tend to get problems with water ingress, and they go white & milky in appearance.

Citroen maybe didn't spend much on making these trims, as they don't last long here. :x

So how long do these trims last in Australia, or any other part of the world?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Mine's possibly in reasonable nick because it spent so long almost protected by a film of grime! A mate has a well used reddish metallic estate, and the mylar/aluminium-covered strips on his bumpers are grey.

One thing that sucks in hot weather is the huge expanse of black vinyl dash. It just pumps the heat back at you, aircon or not. Photo taken Friday 14th:

:shock:
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Holy cr*p you could throw an egg on that :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The only time we see temperatures like that, they're being measured in Fairenheit :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hello ACTIVE8, :D

Considering the savage sun we have at the latitude of 28 degrees, and 50 miles south of Brisbane, the bumpers and trims are holding very well.
The trims are still shiny, but the bumpers have turned grey nearly 10 years ago.
Despite that, I can still see the circular rubbing marks that I made when applying shoe polish to the bumpers, also nearly 10 years ago.
The inside fabric and plastic dash are still like new.
The car’s dark colour causes a lot of heat to accumulate, and it takes until about 3:00 AM to fully cool down.
I didn’t choose the colour, I bought what there was to buy.

I bought the car second-hand in 1997, and immediately applied window tinting.
The biggest problem with the dark colour is that with a common sort of red-green colour blindness, many people don’t see the dark red car in dark green tree-lined streets, and I’ve nearly been hit twice because of that.
Since then, I always drive with the sidelights on.

We leave our cars unlocked at work, and one of my colleagues winds his windows all the way down, and leaves the key in the ignition lock.

These pictures show the car parked outside my scrap of work in September of 2007 in the first picture, and last March in the 5 following pictures.
The windows are down by 2 inches, and a reflective sunshade is put behind the windscreen.
In summer, it’s 30ºC every day in the shade, with no variable weather; we’re in the sub-tropical zone.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by Clogzz on 16 Nov 2008, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Another temperature reading (Celcius) from last year :) That's a challenge to design a vehicle to operate fully under such "eXtreme" conditions!

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Extreme condition of –22ºC at 17:43, so how cold does it get at night, :shock: and what does the car make of it next morning ?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Good battery, winter plus pack and you get a guaranteed comfortable drive everyday.

The shiny part of the trims on the doors and bumpers are suffering from slight bubbling corrosion. They would need replacement but I couldn't find a good solution yet :cry:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

VertVega wrote: The shiny part of the trims on the doors and bumpers are suffering from slight bubbling corrosion. They would need replacement but I couldn't find a good solution yet :cry:
Someone in the UK supplies replacement stainless steel inserts for the door trims. I inherited a set with my new Activa but I'm not sure where they originally came from.

I then spotted a person selling some at the CCC Stratford Rally back in the summer and I cannot remember for the life of me who it was :(

Hopefully someone else will :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

As to the bumper trim - I think it's not stainless but some lesser metal with a thin film of Mylar/aluminium laminated over the top. When the Mylar is gone, the bright metal (just a whisper-thin film) wears off almost right away.

Regards, Adam.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

citrojim wrote:Someone in the UK supplies replacement stainless steel inserts for the door trims. I inherited a set with my new Activa but I'm not sure where they originally came from.

I then spotted a person selling some at the CCC Stratford Rally back in the summer and I cannot remember for the life of me who it was :(

Hopefully someone else will :)
There was somebody advertising them on the forum a while back. I'm not sure if they are still available.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ght=strips
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Brrrrrrrr.........

Post by ACTIVE8 »

VertVega wrote:Good battery, winter plus pack and you get a guaranteed comfortable drive everyday.

The shiny part of the trims on the doors and bumpers are suffering from slight bubbling corrosion. They would need replacement but I couldn't find a good solution yet :cry:
Where are you based to get a low temperature like that?

Winter plus pack?

We have a winter pack that we see here in the U.K. and obviously other countries that Citroen decided the different specifcation was needed, and made available.

So, does a winter plus pack exist and if it does, what's that in the spec a Eberspacher/Webasto heater, thermals etc? :wink:
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 18 Nov 2008, 15:02, edited 2 times in total.
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

addo wrote:Mine's possibly in reasonable nick because it spent so long almost protected by a film of grime! A mate has a well used reddish metallic estate, and the mylar/aluminium-covered strips on his bumpers are grey.

One thing that sucks in hot weather is the huge expanse of black vinyl dash. It just pumps the heat back at you, aircon or not. Photo taken Friday 14th:

:shock:
Hi addo.

Now that's hot !!
ACTIVA

VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Arctic circle is much closer to me than Eiffel tower :) Here in North sometimes winters can be really cold. We have additional items like under body protection shield, wind blocker in front of the radiator, heated engine breather hoses (double for top thin ones and one for the lower). Webasto is a must and in addition to that using only LHM+ and winter season oil like 5W 40. I can assure you that inside Xantia it is really warm, no freezing toes :D

This is another photo from last year (No PhotoShop tricks).

At least in my Xantia min. limit of temperature reading is -30 and below that you can see only "- - -" on the display.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Is yours and Addo's the extremes of Xantia temperatures I wonder VertVega?

Back in 1999 I spent a week in Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia. Mongolia is a gorgeous country, very unspoilt and pretty, except for Ulaanbaatar itself which is (was) typical Soviet-Bloc grey concrete Lego.

Anyway, I digress. I went in June and the weather was lovely but I was told that at the extreme of winter it drops to -40C and at the peak of sumer it soars to +40C :shock:

No Xantias to be seen though. All Russian stuff at the time and almost 100% petrol powered.
Jim