Graunching sound from suspension on start up. (Xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Graunching sound from suspension on start up. (Xantia)

Post by Napoleon »

I still have no deep idea how the suspension works on this Xantia.

I start the engine and lo and behold, the front of the car rises up and this is followed by the rear. Very exciting, and I enojy these sorts of things.

Except I am now noticing a graunching sound from the fornt when it rises up. Do you know what I mean by 'graunching'? I mean to say that I think graunching means the coincidence of two materials, maybe metal on metal? I know not. Maybe it's air whooshing here and there?

I don't suppose it should make a noise like this, so does anyone have any more info that might be useful?

Fanks.
Last edited by Napoleon on 13 Nov 2008, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I know what you mean by graunching. I used to get it on my Xantia when lowering it with the engine switched off.

Most of the moving parts of the suspension is lubricated by deliberate leakage of LHM. The best thing to do if they are graunching is to raise the car up to the top, stick a set of axle stands underneath the front of the car to prevent any sudden dropping which may cause serious injury/death. Then pull down the gaitor around the strut. The best way to do this I found, was to 'fold down' the very top consotina all the way around with a pair of pliers, you can then usually pull down on it fairly easy. The best thing to do then is to use some LH grease or LHM, the grease will last longer. I do remember someone saying something about not using CV grease. Someone will correct me if im wrong.
Then pop the gaitors back up and give the car some 'Citrobics' (lowering the car to the bottom, waiting a minute, raising it back up, waiting a minute and repeat) a few times.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Kev, can these Citrobics be carried out with the engine off, or does the system rely on the motor running?

Sorry, I am a total n00b when it comes to this car, and am only just starting out.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Thats fine Napoleon, no question is too n00bish to ask!

The Xantia's suspension relies on the hydraulic fluid being pressurised by the pump so yes, the engine needs to be idling.
You may find that when the car is at it's lowest setting, that its takes a couple of minutes or so to build enough pressure to start moving the car skywards (STOP light illuminates on the dash), it usually raises the back then the front as the back is light than the front.

Hope this helps!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

.... and 've never noticed it, but does the car settle when the engine is then switched off?

I suppose when you get into the car and start up you notice the rise, but hen you switch off, you get out of the car fairly quickly - you don't sit there waitiing... do you? !!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Napoleon...

Yes the car does drop "a little" when you turn the engine off....and at some other times also....it depends on how healthy it is.

The odd noises, ticks, groans and whistles are normal unless they are excessive (you will quickly realise what normal is).

The main thing is the STOP light on the dash. This means exactly what it says, STOP! In a normal car it doesnt matter if you carry on with some faults. On a Xantia, as the steering, brakes, ride height are all powered by the hydraulic pump, which in turn is powered by the engine running, then if something goes wrong then it all goes wrong all at once :lol: your steering will go and your brakes wont work if you have lost alot of LHM. So stopping is a good idea.

The car wont drop if you knock the engine off as there are valves that retain pressure (anti sink)

The STOP light only comes on for 3 main reasons.

1, The car is sat on low suspension setting. The suspension will not work and it will rattle your teeth out if you try to drive (try it for a few yards in a flat car park at a very low speed if you are curious)

2, Your hydraulic system is losing LHM perhaps through a pipe split somewhere and you need to stop and check the fill level and look underneath with the engine running for leaks. (if you have a leak then the STOP light will come on and tend to flicker for a bit before remaining on when the level becomes that low) As with a conventional engine with an engine oil leak, you can still run as long as the oil level remains sufficient to function. For this reason i keep at least 1 litre of LHM in the boot to get me off the motorway for example if i get stuck. BUT....if it is gushing then dont bother filling it up as it will quickly empty and the pressure will drop within the system and again no brakes etc.

3, You need to top up the LHM as the level is too low. Though unless you have just bought it that shouldnt happen as the system is sealed....

So be wary of the STOP light but dont let it worry you.......at least the car tells you you have a problem....I had an Audi once which dumped its brake fluid on the motorway....i only realised when the brakes didnt work at 85MPH :shock: lucky the handbrake was good and i had lots of room on the road.

Citroen Xantias are cool and if a good one will be pound for pound the best car you will have driven.