Headlight bulbs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

Headlight bulbs

Post by Bren »

Any good aftermarket bulbs for the xantia? I am thinking of uprating mine as it has become apparent how poor the standard items are at this time of year.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Osram Silver Stars are for my money, the tops. Excellent bulbs.

Also, think about doing the headlight relay mod Bren. My Activa has been done and I can actually dazzle people with my lights if I accidentially forget to dip :lol: Something my 2.1TD (unmodified) is incapable of doing even with Silver Stars fitted.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

To Hijack....(Sorry!)

Can a link be provided for the headlight relay mod? Need to get round to doing this myself and some pointers and diagrams would be excellent.
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Am I right in thinking that the Mk II Xantia already has the headlight relay in place ?
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I posed that question the other week.

The inference seemed to be that wire between relays and lights is still a bit marginal. Checking voltage at the headlight connector plug, was suggested as a starting point.

Regards, Adam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, the wiring is marginal right up to the bulb and a surprising amount of voltage drop can be observed 'twixt battery and bulb. The earth wires are also marginal.

The relay modification essentially relay switches the dipped beam supply straight from the battery (via a fuse) to the bulb, using all new wiring. The old supply to the bulb jis just used to operate the relay. All you need is two relays, two fuses, some ring terminals and some spade terminals. Also install a new earth wire from the bulb to a good, clean earth.

Strangely, I'm not aware that this mod has been formally written up. My Activa has been modified but not by me. All i know is it makes a heck of a difference and proved, fundamentally, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with MK1 headlings in the optical sense.

Hirsty, No, as far as I know, the MK2 does not have the relay mod as standard although prima facieMK2 lights seem better than MK1 lights.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Can I just say that these are NOT bulbs, but lamps!!!! :twisted:

I speak from a position of knowledge both as an electrical engineer and a gardener. Lamps use electrickery, bulbs go in the ground! :x

Pedantic Handyman :roll: :roll:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

handyman wrote: Pedantic Handyman :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely correct Handyman! Now if you want to be really pedantic, The whole headlamp assembly is a Luminaire :wink:
A luminaire is a lighting fixture complete with the light source or lamp, the reflector for directing the light, an aperture (with or without a lens), the outer shell or housing for lamp alignment and protection, an electrical ballast, if required, and connection to a power source
Jim

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

There's a review on Autoexpress of headlamp bulbs. Can't remember if it covers all types or just H4s.

Steve.
not applicable
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

steelcityuk wrote:There's a review on Autoexpress of headlamp bulbs. Can't remember if it covers all types or just H4s.
It's LAMPS Steve, LAMPS! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Nice to see somebody is keeping up at the back there!! :?

I hope you are all making notes, as I will be asking questions soon. :o :o

Pedantic Handyman
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

Yes Sir, Taking notes Sir, Can you write more slowly please Sir?

:D
Xantia HDi 110 Excl Estate 140k
C5 HDi 138 Estate
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

handyman wrote:Can I just say that these are NOT bulbs, but lamps!!!! :twisted:

I speak from a position of knowledge both as an electrical engineer and a gardener. Lamps use electrickery, bulbs go in the ground! :x

Pedantic Handyman :roll: :roll:
Just out of interest, what would you call these?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

reblack68 wrote: Just out of interest, what would you call these?
Secondary Cells :wink:
Jim

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Our Physics teacher told us at length that they weren't batteries because they only contain one cell. It was obviously something that bothered him :lol:
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.