my c5 susp goes up and down with button but rear hard?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gazzas c5
My Cars:

my c5 susp goes up and down with button but rear hard?

Post by gazzas c5 »

my suspension on my 52 plate c5 2.0 hdi sx suspension works up and down with the buttons,but why is the rear so hard?i hate going over bumps in the road and speed bumps,can any1 advise me what i can do with it?be great to get the smoothness back again thanks a lot!!!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Sounds like you need a set of new rear spheres.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Has any member changed spheres on a C5?

If so what's the procedure? Do you just drop it to the lowest height or is there means of depressurizing the system, if so do you need dealer tools?

So many questions and no Haynes until December.

Steve.
not applicable
gazzas c5
My Cars:

rear stifff suspension on c5 hatch

Post by gazzas c5 »

is it easy to change the spheres?i though they were long lasting compared to the xantias?i used to have a xantia and never had any trouble with suspension,the c5 goes up and down with the buttons no problems but why is it hard at the rear?front fine just the rear when you go over something hard cheers
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

I know that the spheres on a C5 are the multilayer membrane type so they are suppose to last for around 5 years. Not all Xantia spheres are multilayer types and so go flat relatively quickly by comparison.

Steve.
not applicable
oldfruit
My Cars:

Post by oldfruit »

Cit state "vie illimitee" (that's unlimited life for all you monoglots) for C5 spheres and only recommend a check at 5 years.

Peter (I love my V6 C5)
Long-time Cit owner
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Jim took mine for a spin yesterday and confirmed my suspicion that C5 suspension is much firmer than that of a Xantia.

It is still better than a steel sprung cat by quite a wide margin.

I'm sure the first C5 that I test-drove was softer than mine.
deian

Post by deian »

Why would they need to be checked every 5 years if they are unlimited for life for spheres, maybe most spheres may be usable by the time the car would be scrapped for some reason.

The membranes of any type will be porous over a 'certain' amount of time. So I don't buy that quote off Citroen.

I would say new sphere are needed.
oldfruit
My Cars:

Post by oldfruit »

Sorry if I misled you, deian, but it's the suspension as a whole that Cit recommend should be checked after 5 years, not the spheres.

Peter
Long-time Cit owner
deian

Post by deian »

no problem, that makes sense now then.
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Sounds to me like a marketing ploy much like sealed for life auto boxes, that then go bang out of warranty (not just Citroens but BMWs too by all accounts). Or cars with 20,000 miles service intervals the engine could well be knackered in 100,000 miles but by then it's out of warranty and they can sell you a replacement but it sounds cheaper when when you buy it.

Cynical? Me?

Steve.
not applicable
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I have read stuff that claims the spheres on a C5 should last approx 10 years. But some may need changing after 8 years.

Xantia spheres as far as I can understand should last 5 years but some may fail after 3 years.

I replaced the spheres on my Xantia 1.9 td after 6 years and I'm sure there was still life in them. It was an SX without hydractive etc. A good car. I miss it. I swapped it for my C5 in the end because my wife said it looked too old (P reg).
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
C5IAM
My Cars:

C5 Spheres

Post by C5IAM »

Now sold my 51 plate 2.2 C5. My suspension started to go off after 65k miles. Changed all spheres to 'comfort' spheres and I then had a car with a comfortable ride. Although my C5 was III+ it was too hard for me, I understand the model with only 4 spheres is harder still - go for comfort spheres, gives a little bit of roll but nothing to worry about.
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage