Just check - before it costs you!..newbbie offering wisdom?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nurm
My Cars:

Just check - before it costs you!..newbbie offering wisdom?

Post by Nurm »

Hi all,
just joined... and would like to offer a little wisdom thats saved me over 120 beer tokens...

Short story for those who don't wana read war and peace - Any performance / strange electrical issues / general upkeep.. Keep the contacts to the ECU and other electricals Clean !!!
Also I' looking for a new or used (VGC) brake compensator for a synergie 97 (the small box underneath connected to the rear axel) -

War and Pecies!
I have just aquired a 1997 synergie 2.0i (swaped rover 400 sli for it) anyway i was told by the previous owner that there was an issue with 'crap' in the tank so don't let it go below quater of a tank - and if you go below it.. it kangaroos and you need to clean the injectors... blah blah blah anyway (i thought it was worth getting the fuel tank flushed to resolve this..
I filled the tank up (cceerrrrrcchhiinngg!) and ran for a few days getting quotes to drop and flush the tank.. however the prices i was quoted just were stupid.. :shock:
By this time i had gone over the quater mark and sure enough - kangaroo city.. (nearly gave myself wiplash) cutting out loss of power - it was no fun at all - so i dumped another £20 in the tank - left the garage and back to the kangaroo impressions.. it seemed to be starved of fuel.. push the accelorator down and nothing.. just chuged then stalled - but worked fine and started everytime.. 100 yards along the road... chug.. :oops: :evil:
So i took the car home - and was advised to take it to the local garage and pop it on the diagnostics.. although it may not show anything - as he had seen this issue before - and after alot of troubleshooting turned out to be a weak fuel pump.. he would also change the fuel filter as this may also help and we'd take it from there..
I had a look on the net and found little information on this issue, but what i did find pointed towards fuel lines and fuel pump... so booked it in for the following afternoon (and it wasn't going to be cheap i was told - Is it ever?)
whilst awaiting the money draining exercise I thought i'd give the electricals the once over check fuses etc and the connections (just to ensure there was no other hidden issues that would cause another dent in the wallet) - and i'm not the type of person to just let someone else do it..lol
after concentrating on the engine connectors first I removed the ecu connector and 1 or 2 pinss were tarnished - so i wd40'd them and then again on the lump next to the ecu a few were tarnished - again cleaned them.. and just to make sure there was no connectors i hadn't connected back up.. started the engine.. i let it run.. noticing it didn't chug.. and thought pehaps its the amount of fuel in the tank now and no'crap' is being pulled in now.. (typical eh!) So i decided to take it for a spin (thrash) to get the muck in the tank stired up again and get the fault again.. but it didn't... It was like driving a different car.. responsive (well as much as a syn can be) no coff no chug.. :lol: :o :lol: :o
that night I went out - still nothing.. and then again in the morning.. still nothing.. so i canceled the garage and have ran the car for the last 5 days without a hitch - even down to the red!
just goes to prove a little resistance on them ecu pins can cause havok! - that wa bloody long winded!

Also I' looking for a new or used (VGC) brake compensator for a synergie 97 (the small box underneath connected to the rear axel)
I noticed a patch of clean oil on the floor last week - traced it down to this.. (the one thats on .., was very loose - and seems to have a damaged seal) - another thing the guy forgot to mention i think!
- if you can point me in the right direction - most helpful - just pm me etc
cheers :wink:
Nurm
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Welcome to the site Nerm!

I had a similar problem to you a couple of months back -
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=24807

You might find this an interesting read!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Nurm
My Cars:

Post by Nurm »

cheers.. looks like you had a real job on your hands there.. and yup i do wish i found this forum prior to yeserday!..LOL
:lol:
may have saved me a headache or two!