Citroen ZX : DimDip Relay Location!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mtwelve

Citroen ZX : DimDip Relay Location!

Post by mtwelve »

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone could please help me! Im loosing sleep here :D

Basically our much loved ZX has failed its MOT because the dimdip, dipdim?, lights are not comming on....

Im pretty sure its down to the relay as i have checked and changed the bulbs and checked the stalk. (I had an old one from teh indicatior problem)

The haynes manual simply says its above the horn assembly but i can find anything but the horn in the area where it is.....

Is it in the engine compartment relay box?

Its a 1.9D ZX 1992 K Reg

A massive thanks to anyone who can help
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've never heard of a car failing the MOT for that. I don't think they even had to be fitted by the time K plate came along, your car might not even have had them from the factory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting Scroll down a bit.

If all the other lights work as they should I would be querying that with the test station.

Unless you're talking about the normal dip beam, which isn't the same thing and looking up dim dip would send you in the wrong direction.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

reblack68 wrote:I've never heard of a car failing the MOT for that. I don't think they even had to be fitted by the time K plate came along, your car might not even have had them from the factory.
My 1994 and 1995 ZXs both had the system.

I agree though, I'm surprised it would fail MOT as long as the lights come on.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

no relay for that? I think it would fail if you couldn't switch from low to high but not if you cant flash the lights so quick way is to wire a switch up to the main beam so you have 2 switches then find the problem when its got the MOT, just an idea to get it on the road
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dim dip is the dip beam on at a lesser brightness than normal diped beam, and with all the other citroens including a 2CV, the dim dip was via a big fat resistor in an alluminium can, not a relay

the MOT tester should test the side lights without the ignition switched on, then with ignition swithed on,
as this is when dim dip will be on, and yes it did used to fail on this but im not sure if it still dose

and TBONE
its not the head lamp flasher he is asking about
regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Why would they bother when it is no longer a legal requirement?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

In theory I think if a car was originally fitted with dimdip it is supposed to be tested on the MOT, but I would have thought it was virtually impossible now for testers to know which cars were or weren't supposed to have it.
It does seem unusually pedantic to fail a car on it now.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

ahhhh that dimpy 25% dip beam while driving with parking lights on? haven't seen them for many years and never thought they entered the MOT in the UK, good idea when it came out as parking lights are for "parking" so not as good for driving but even I thought that wasnt an MOT fail :!:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

side light are not for parking they are for when driving when the light is startting to fade, but not dark enough for head lights,

i belive it german cars use them as parking lights , by flicking the indicator stalk to the side you wish to iluminate whilst the ignition is off
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:side light are not for parking they are for when driving when the light is startting to fade, but not dark enough for head lights,
And for that purpose they are useless. :evil: If you're going to have lights on, have some decent ones.
citronut wrote: i belive it german cars use them as parking lights , by flicking the indicator stalk to the side you wish to iluminate whilst the ignition is off
You see VWs and Audis all over the place with these on where they have forgotten to cancel the indicator before parking.