Xantia ashtray bulb - how hard can it be ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Xantia ashtray bulb - how hard can it be ?

Post by hirsty »

As I type, I am looking at the ashtray assembly from my Mk II Xantia, and the bulb has gone. According to the BOL, the bulb holder pulls out to replace the bulb. Not on mine. The holder appears to be attached to the green plastic surround in some way that I can't fathom. I have pulled, pushed and cursed but I cannot access the bulb. Gentle levering between the green surround and the bulb holder shows what appears to be a metal clip but I can't figure how to seperate them. Can someone help before I run out of hair !!! :oops:
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Ah yes; I've done this too.

The bulb holder (black plastic IIRC) actually clips into the side of the lighter barrel. You pry it directly outwards - insofar as that's possible. No sliding, just little sprung plastic legs.

To start with, loosen the whole ashtray assembly and disconnect the power feed, so you can work on it out the car. Then prise the holder off the side of the lighter barrel. Make sure the bulb you get is a 1.2 watter - not the 1.5 non-aligned suppliers often plonk onto the counter. It may be (if it doesn't dim with the dash lights) that an LED substitute would work?

As Haynes say - RITROR

Cheers, Adam.
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Thanks Adam. Finally got the little bugger out and replaced the bulb. Putting it back in is a different game. No doubt Citroen do a very elaborate and expensive tool to squeeze the locating lugs back in !!! :roll:
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.