Front Airbag warning light flashing intermitantly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Front Airbag warning light flashing intermitantly

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hello again.

I have another problem now. My front airbag light keeps flashing intermitantly. I have disconnected the battery over night with varying results, sometimes it's 'resets' it, and others it flashes soon after a short period after start up.

Any ideas where to start looking for this?

It has a passenger airbag too if this helps.

Cheers guys,

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

can you switch the passenger air bag on via a key? if yes then give the switch a few turns on and off and see if that stops it, that passenger air bag is a pain for doing that
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Check the airbag cable connectors under both front seats. They might get loose. In Xantia airbag cables are yellow and orange colored.
Last edited by VertVega on 04 Nov 2008, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I find that (with the key off) grasping both wires to the underseat connector plug and pushing together firmly, helps.

Due to rough roads, the light comes back on now and then! Next step may well be a contact enhancer like Stabilant 22-A.

Regards, Adam.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If it's the underseat connectors, strip them back and solder them together, or if you think you may need to remove the seat in the future, use deans connectors.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Do the connections under the seats work with the front airbags?

The side airbag light doesn't come on. (apart from at start up or when turning on the ignition or every now and again) A wiggle of the wires under the seat normally sorts that, it's just the main driver and passenger airbag light that's flashing every so often now.

I haven't seen a key switch to turn off the passenger airbag....I know in my old Pug 406 it had one, and if you turned it off the airbag light would flash to warn you.

My dear old Xsara certainly likes to confuse me!! I love her though and I think she's worth tinkering with.

Oh by the way, I put a post up ages ago about the handling....I bought some new tyres now...I used tyretraders.com I think the cheapest place on the net for tyres!?!?!?! so much cheaper than somewhere like kwikfit!!!....bought a full set of Dunlop SP sport 01's for £211 fully fitted.....the difference is outstanding...so much more grip quieter drive...she drives like a dream now!!
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

The passenger deactivation switch is seen if you open the front passenger door and on the side of the dash is the switch, and according to the owners manual if its switch off the airbag light stays on.

Btw the side airbag light should always come on and go off after apprx 6 seconds every time the ignition is switch on.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The warning light comes on if any of the connections exceed factory specs - that is, resistance in the circuit is higher than expected.

My estate doesn't have the deactivation keyswitch (not legal here) but it does have a brown connector under the front oddments tray. Maybe give that a wiggle, too - if you have it.

Regards, Adam.