ZX 1.4i outer CV gaiter kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UserError
My Cars:

Post by UserError »

Hi,
I wondered if anyone can help clarify the kit I need for an outer gaiter.

I've received my box 'o goodies from GSF & on opening the gaiter kit am concerned that it is not right & I doubt they'd take it back if it was full of black slime....

They list (N45014 CV BOOT KIT-OUTER ZX 1.4 (NO GROOVE) - I've a very slight seating groove on the driveshaft which didn't appear to qualify to me,so I rang up & spoke to a chap therewho found me ( N45008 CV BOOT KIT-OUTER 309 TU ENGINE).

This is what I have received & the gaiter has a thick rubber ring to secure the small end (as have the inner joint gaiters) and a heavy guage wire coil - to fasten the outer end?

The dead gaiter was fastened with SS straps - was this wrong? More importantly, can I use this one? There is a bit of a groove/lip at the outboard end. How substantial are the grooves ?

I'm not overly confident of GSF to ascertain te correct part from my untutored descriptiion. Can anyone advise me please.
Much appreciated
Cheers
Jonathan

PS they used to have plastic rings in the folds - these now considered unnecessary?
If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

there should be 2 clips and a thick rubber ring that goes in between the grooves and the groove on the drive shaft is where the thin end of the boot locates and its there so the clip holds the boot from shifting up and down the shaft while turning
UserError
My Cars:

CV kit

Post by UserError »

TBone,
I appreciate your reply, but am still lost.

I've uploaded 2 pix of the kit & the shaft - I would be grateful if you could comment on these?
http://www.spidery.force9.co.uk/images/ZX/CVkit.jpg
http://www.spidery.force9.co.uk/images/ ... eshaft.jpg

Cheers
Jonathan
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

its the wrong one for your car you need a stretch boot and cone to fit it

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... %26hl%3Den

the plastic rings are obsolete with the universal cv boot kit
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

the tool
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0299094571

the boot kit
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 85ff85e44b

you can use the other one but its designed to be slotted on from the inner cv joint which means you have twice the job and all other garages wouldn't use it because of that and the cost would treble
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the cone method is all very well so long as the old gaitor only has a very small hole, but if it is split wide open it is better to fit the new gaitor the old way, otherwise you leave all the grit and crapp inside the CV joint,

the sping steel band you have with your kit is fine if you can get it on (very fiddly), but if you have some new LIGAREX SS strapping and the abilaty to fit it, also if it will lay fully into the groove on the outter off the large edge, the reason i say this is because sometimes the groove/chanle were the strapping lays is not allways wide enough for LIGAREX,

DO NOT USE CABLE TIES as 99% of the time they dont hold tight enough to stop grease leeking

also compaire the rib in the large openning of the old gaitor to the new one, going by your drive shaft it dose/must only have one rib/bead to fit into the groove

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im sure i have asked before were in east sussex are you, as i do run my own car repaire shop in st leonards on sea

regards malcolm
UserError
My Cars:

Post by UserError »

TBone, Thanks but I've got the driveshafts out fort the engine swap so I was going to go for conventional gaiters, especially in the light of Malcolm's comments.

Malcolm

Not sure about the bumps & ribs etc as they're all a bit subtle. I've fitted CV gaiters to several cars (and a great many onto minis in the past) and don't recall having this problem. Is this a Citroen thing or are they all so much more sophisticated?

I've uploaded a few pix of what I've got (old & new) - could I trouble you to have a look. I'm getting heartily fed up with this as I had expected to have got it all back together by now. Cheers.

http://www.spidery.force9.co.uk/images/ZX/Gaiters/

I'm in Hailsham - If I was nearer I'd be tempted to push the car to you!!! especially as you know what you're doing, unlike places I've been to here who fit generic/universal parts, or the wrong b****y gearbox oil etc.

This is why I do in myself cos I know in the end it will be done properly, if slowly....
Regards
Jonathan
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i see in that last picy you are resortting the a hammer,

as you have got the shaft off the car have you got no way of getting over to me, maybe a freind drop you over or come by bus/train,

can you pm me a phone No.

regards malcolm
UserError
My Cars:

Post by UserError »

citronut wrote:i see in that last picy you are resortting the a hammer,

regards malcolm
Most useful tool invented....

(had to open up the inner tripod can to get to this stage using offending item & a chisel)

PM sent also
Cheers
Jonathan
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no pm turned up yet

regards malcolm
UserError
My Cars:

Post by UserError »

Malcolm,
PM re-sent last night - received?
Cheers
Jonathan
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

That outer gaiter looks very similar to the one that I changed on my car (ZX 1.9D). I had a lot of problems finding the right gaiter until I discovered that my driveshafts were more similar to the 1.4 Petrol ZX than the 1.9D ZX. It was a long time ago but the pictures certainly look familiar. I wrote down the part numbers at the time and I'll post them now. I'm not accepting any blame if they're not the right ones though - use the part numbers as a guide only.

Citroen part number 3293.77
GSF Car Parts number N45008

Paul
UserError
My Cars:

Post by UserError »

the_weaver wrote:That outer gaiter looks very similar to the one that I changed on my car (ZX 1.9D). I had a lot of problems finding the right gaiter until I discovered that my driveshafts were more similar to the 1.4 Petrol ZX than the 1.9D ZX. It was a long time ago but the pictures certainly look familiar. I wrote down the part numbers at the time and I'll post them now. I'm not accepting any blame if they're not the right ones though - use the part numbers as a guide only.

Citroen part number 3293.77
GSF Car Parts number N45008

Paul
Paul,
N45008 is what GSF sent me - It wasn't listed on their online database for my car so I rang them & they found it for a a Pug (306?). With Malcolm's help I took the plunge & fitted it & all seemS well so far, although the car has only covered a few miles.
Thanks for the reassurance though.

For anyone's interest, the spring clip went on fairly easily when I approached it by putting it on from the metal side of the joint, rather than from the gaiter side.

Jonathan
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis