Looking at replacements...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Looking at replacements...

Post by KP »

Well i've killed off my xantia well and truly now...
One of the aux belt pulleys has jammed and burnt its way thru the aux belt on the way home.....

So i've taken my alloys off it now.

However im looking to keep xantias in the family and there dont appearto be any good 1.9td's about at the minute(mine was a V Plate mk2).

I have spotted a V6 and a 2.0ct on the trader and a HDi Exclusive on ebay.
What should i look out or with regard to the hydractive suspension on these ones?

I'd love to try the petrols and with petrol being so much cheaper than diesel it would work out about the same running costs really i would imagine....
However the petrols have high miles, 150k(ish) for the V6 and 140k(ish) and the HDi is on about 75k i think.
The leather is a selling point to me as young kids and mess and such like make wiping leather clean a lot easier....

Any advice gratefully recieved :D

Thanks,
Will
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Both the petrol engined cars you mention are thirsty and will be costlier to maintain than the HDi. On 75K miles, it should be good for another 200K miles.

Children and leather interiors are a no go. Once you get a nick in the leather, it will rip, as the hides used in modern cars are no where near as thick as the leather used in much older cars, irrespective of make. At least with cloth, any replacements will be easier to find.

What do you need a car for? Is it a cosseted toy used only at weekends, (V6 & Activa) or an everyday mode of transport, HDi?

Maybe your search is too diverse?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Really it will be doing at least 40miles per day up and down the motorway to work and back and every now and again maybe longer trips.
Really i could live with a poverty spec one as long as it had AC, but i fancy treating myself as i'll be the only one in it most of the time.

Leather ripping hasn't been an issue for me in previous cars, just dont give the kids knives or sharp objects really :D but take the point that cuts are costly :(

Guessing the HDi one would be best for my milage then.

How about the hydractive, how can this be tested?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: How about the hydractive, how can this be tested?
Have a look at the Activa Buyers Guide down in the Activa Area KP. If you ignore the Activa bits, it gives all the tests to do on the Hydractive side and links to anoteher thread on the subject.

Only problem with an HDi is that they won't run veg but I believe they're OK on proper Bio.

I'd say look out for a 2.1TD but as you know, they only like genuine dino diesel and absolutely nothing else :cry:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Yeah thats the problem Jim.

Theres one on ebay and i thought about it but then thought i wouldnt take the chance as proper bio around here is 10p/litre less than normal Dino so still save me some money.

Have seen an LX Xantia with LPG kit fitted but with 140k on the clock on the 1.8 engine not sure it would have much life left in it now....

The HDi i've spotted is very tempting though.
The V6 is very rare as it has a cream leather interior....
The 2.0ct is again rare as its a VSX with all the trimings bar sunroof.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree with Jim. The 2.1 is the best of the bunch and is likely to be more economical than the 1.9. The HDI engine is good but if it goes wrong it can cost you a fortune.There is no way that a petrol one is going to be as cheap as a diesel to run, even with fuel at its present price, you might get good consumption on long journeys but knocking about locally the petrol will likely use twice as much.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Problem with the 2.1 is that it seems very sensitive to the fuel it takes. Biodiesel is certainly a no go and its certainly something i would use( i have a supply of WVO at the moment im hoping to exchange for Bio in the future)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

1.9TD running on veg is the most economical.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thats true of the 2.1 used in the Xantia but most of the XMs have Bosch mechanical pumps and its not to bad a job to swap one over, although with the current price of veg oil, is it worth it?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Peter.N. wrote:Thats true of the 2.1 used in the Xantia but most of the XMs have Bosch mechanical pumps and its not to bad a job to swap one over, although with the current price of veg oil, is it worth it?
84ppl compared with 115ppl?
As Jim has mentioned, you'd have to actually source a bosch pump and injectors from an XM, sort out the throttle cable, confuse the ECU, and maybe even remove the K light's bulb.
Or you could just jump in a 1.9TD, pour veg in and enjoy 45mpg+ and have a fun time driving, knowing you have a ready supply of reasonably priced and sometimes downright cheap spare parts ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'll second the note about leather becoming ever thinner and less durable - can't use a previous car as a benchmark. Cream colour would be a nightmare, too. (If you don't think so, try cleaning a cream leather sofa that's not even sat on every day! :x ) ScotchGarded seat covers over any OEM seat would be a nice way to minimise risk and facilitate easy cleaning.

It's worth considering what "killed" the last car. If you deferred semi-critical issues until mechanical failures overwhelmed the vehicle, then a complex car is not for you.

What about a Peugeot 406; either estate or sedan?

Regards, Adam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: What about a Peugeot 406; either estate or sedan?
A good tough car Adam, stands up to a lot of abuse. My son has one and so far, touch wood, he's not broken it..

There is only one problem with a 406, well two actually. One is a distinct lack of hydropneumatic suspension and the other is related: The brakes lack something, mainly in the fact thay're not driven by LHM under pressure. The brakes and suspension I find very disappointing in the 406. Apart from that, a smashing car in every other respect.

Fact is, once you've had a hydropneumatic car for any length of time, nothing else quite cuts the mustard.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I nearly bought a 406 before the Xantia estate turned up; a car with significant country mileage but perfect interior. Have driven a good few and find they're pleasant enough. Never felt the brakes were lacking - but having come from a 21-year-old Corolla then a Fuego it's not hard to impress!

To me it seems a Cit is not for everyone; there is undeniably an extra element in both oversight and maintenance with LHM-controlled vehicles. I agree fully that it's hard to leave one because of the ride comfort sneaking up on you - have an Alfa 147 here that seems so harsh on the road! :lol:

Regards, Adam
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

It is possible to get 55-65mpg out of the HDi. Talk to my brother, as he is doing it consistently with his C5 and did the same with his Xantia HDi estate, the one that is for sale.

I presume the 2.0CT is an estate, not an Activa, very rare car as they were only available for a short time and all the ones I have seen were to VSX spec, usually with a leather interior.

If you do not want the V6, I would like to know the details about it as I may well be interested. We had a cream interior in one of our Mk2 Activas, once cleaned, was absolutely stunning. 8)

Between his ex-wife parking by ear and his argument with the back-end of a Meganne, saw its demise. :evil: :(

Handyman
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The V6 is near Blackburn IIRC but like i said high miles which i dont think would be too much of a problem for the engine if its been cared for...

The HDi seems to be winning it at the moment.
The only Non Cit car that i can be tempted with at the moment is a Fabia Vrs, and even that i would want the Limited Edition version.....

The xantia suffered its demise mainly because i had started to get annoyed with the rear wheel bearings, the sump going was enough as i knew in the next 6 months or less i was also going to have to shell out for a cambelt and clutch. Cambelt i dont have a clue when it was last changed and the clutch certainly feels original. I bought the car for £600 with 96k on it last august and it had something like 6 months tax on it bringing the price down more as well as a full tank of fuel still.

I viewed as something to get me by for at least a few months after i sold my coupe and have only ever done a sphere shange on the front and just kept up the oil changes asi saw it as a throwaway car more than anything.
I only bought the exclusive alloys as they were going cheap and had plenty of tread on them so saved me the expense of new tyres for the steel rims and offered more grip in the wet and dry.

The oil was changed every 3-5k as the car was doing so many miles and on veg it really needed it. Its now on nearly 133k so thats 37k since last august near enough...