RH Driveshaft inner joint etc: points to note

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UserError
My Cars:

RH Driveshaft inner joint etc: points to note

Post by UserError »

Just got my inner joint back together.

Take heed of the other warnings/posts about tripod joints. I thought my tripod had clips at the end & that the bearings wouldn't come off (the assembly differed from Haynes's and nothing "just slid apart"). These clips are only pretending to be your friends.

Was putting the tripod back onto the shaft. A bit stiff so a quick casual tap with the persuader - and one of the bearings popped off (despite the retaining clip).

After rounding up and cleaning the needles and sticking them to bearing shaft with grease....

The eared clip is retained by a thin wire "C" clip - you need to wipe all the grease off to find the gap in it and use a thin blade (I used a precision screwdriver) to pop it off and force the clip back in again.

If the tripod is stiff to slide back on, take care not to tap the bearing rings... drift it with a largish socket or sequentially tap the bits between the tripod arms.

The tripod is flat one end & concave the other - the concave end goes down the shaft or you can't get the circlip on which is a pain if you've very carefully drifted it on.

Jonathan
If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Thanks Jonathon

rebuilding one of them somehow scares me, not sure why...

:)
UserError
My Cars:

Inner joint

Post by UserError »

jgra1 - I never intended ti do it either, having read all the stuff....
If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they are not that bad when you have done a few, i did my first tin can type inner joint on a very early VISA before another local indy citroen repairers, i asked them and they said they had not done any yet,

regards malcolm