2.1TD Warmup Time

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

After work yesterday, Cassy was blowing warm air by the time I got out the car park, and a furnace by the time I got home 4 miles later.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks all, It's turned out an interesting thread :D

First, I have to say I've been a Muppet :oops: I had a good look this morning and felt the top hose. It ever so slowly gets warm whilst the air in the cabin remains cool. So, after all that the thermostat IS duff :oops: :twisted:

In looking around (at the road mainly), I have found another problem. I have a coolant leak at the heater matrix connection elbow and on looking closely, I can see one of the O rings is out of position and the spigots have worked their way forward. I only noticed it as I spotted a wet mark on the tarmac that had not dried as expected. I then found my expansion tank level had fallen by about a half.

It was only back in the summer we replaced the heater matrix. DickieG had much the same thing happen a few moths after replacing the matrix on his V6..

No prizes for what I'll be doing this evening :lol: I'll be driving very gently home from work as well....

I'll be fitting a new thermostat this weekend. Oh what fun on a 2.1TD :twisted: :twisted: Whoever designed a thermostat to be located in the back of the block just around the corner from the water pump needs shooting :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

That'll be a french man!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Old-Guy wrote:One of the many advantages our 1.9TD has over its predecessors (2.0D Montegos) is the (relatively) fast warm up on chilly mornings. I drive lots of different vans, particularly Transits, which also mostly take an age to warm up.
Probably down to the difference between direct injection and indirect injection diesels. DIs like the Montego and Transit engines do generally take longer to warm up than an IDI like the XUD 1.9.
The Montego engine was arguably more advanced for its time though and only came along several years after the XUD was launched.
The lack of swirl chamber in the DI engine apparently means less heat passes through the head to the cooling system, hence colder running.

The HDi is also direct injection and takes a lot longer to warm up than my 1.9TD used to.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citrojim wrote:In looking around (at the road mainly), I have found another problem. I have a coolant leak at the heater matrix connection elbow and on looking closely, I can see one of the O rings is out of position and the spigots have worked their way forward. I only noticed it as I spotted a wet mark on the tarmac that had not dried as expected. I then found my expansion tank level had fallen by about a half.

It was only back in the summer we replaced the heater matrix. DickieG had much the same thing happen a few moths after replacing the matrix on his V6..
Hmm, a common denominator here :oops: :oops:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Nick
Old-Guy wrote:
One of the many advantages our 1.9TD has over its predecessors (2.0D Montegos) is the (relatively) fast warm up on chilly mornings. I drive lots of different vans, particularly Transits, which also mostly take an age to warm up.

Nick wrote:
Probably down to the difference between direct injection and indirect injection diesels. DIs like the Montego and Transit engines do generally take longer to warm up than an IDI like the XUD 1.9.
Of course you're right. And I started my working life with a diesel engine manufacturer -doh! :oops: :oops:

For the same reasons, DI designs are said to be inherently better starters than IDIs. Certainly my Perkins/Rovers always started first try hot or cold (except really frosty mornings).

Senility approaches!

Guy[/i]
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The speed my C5 heats up surprises me. Faster than the Accord (2L petrol) and far faster than my brother's MG diesel. After a mile in a 30-zone it is coming through and is up to temp half a mile after that.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

mine gets hot after 2 mins from cold start my mom loves it pity she doesn't drive it and I could stay away from the car ( old bugger ) but i'm also an old bugger as well lol
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

deian wrote:That'll be a french man!
Was it the Marquis de Sade? :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

fancy words don't say it :wink:
http://kirjasto.sci.fi/desade.htm
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

My 1.9d seems to warm up within about a mile of leaving home in the mornings and is a little too warm half way on my 15 mile journey to work :lol: :lol:
My only problem had been that when i got to work i had to go through the whole process again in warming up my lorry but fortunatly some kind sole invented the night heater with a timed controller and now my lorry is at a suitable temperature (26 degrees C) before i even open the door :D :D :D

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just a quick update: I've redone the heater matrix connector and all is now good again. That was fun in the cold and dark this evening but I managed it without removing the inlet manifiold :D

I have a suspicion about the O rings. The ones that came out were significantly bigger than the new ones I used on replacement.

The thermostat is OK. The top hose warms but there is no circulation in the rad. It's just an effect of the thermostat being in the bottom hose. The 2.1TD really does take a month of Sundays to warm up on a cold night...

Car is toasty warm with a cold rad and so far, no leaks :D

All's good. I'm off out doing a a big "Dad's Taxi" in a bit and then I'll be vback to read some incredibly interesting threads I've only skimmed through so far. Been rushed off my feet today :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...