handbrake adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OzRX4
My Cars:

Post by OzRX4 »

Back to the Xsara today.
Right rear trailing shoe suffered major material debond :shock:
My wife did tell me acoule of times the brakes were noisy and sort of sticking but I didn't wnat to go to the trouble of looking especially seeing as everytime I drove the car i couldn't get it to play up. Boy am I ever :oops: now.
Problem solved, new shoes springs and machined drums coming up.
LIFE: the cost of living hasn't reduced it's popularity

2001 Renault Scenic RX4 2.0i
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.8i (auto...hers)
1969 Renault R10 's' replica(in progress)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There seems to be quite a body of evidence to strengthen the theory that drum brakes are more effective than disc brakes.

I find them to be more trouble than enough. On most of the cars I have had with drum brakes (Renault 4, Hillman Imp :cry: ) they always seemed to need tinkering with and invariably it was a fight to get the drums off.

Discs never seem to be a problem and are usually pretty simple to service when they need it.
OzRX4
My Cars:

Post by OzRX4 »

I thoguht the same thing the other day Steve in the fact discs are easy to change and pads are simple too. It took me an hour all up to change front discs and pads on my Scenic Rx4. That was both sides swapped and new pads. Have the rears to do when i ahve finished the Xsara btut hat's more involved as I have to get the bearings pressd into the new discs.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

OzRX4 wrote:I thoguht the same thing the other day Steve in the fact discs are easy to change and pads are simple too. It took me an hour all up to change front discs and pads on my Scenic Rx4. That was both sides swapped and new pads. Have the rears to do when i ahve finished the Xsara btut hat's more involved as I have to get the bearings pressd into the new discs.
Quite - It would have been about the same for the Xantia if I hadn't discovered the Torx screw and had to go and buy a set of screwdrivers for that, which took longer than the job in hand.

Pads were a ten minute job but I think the inboard discs on the GS would have taken a fair bit longer to change. Fortunately they seemed to last for ever.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

GS/A front brakes seem to need less attention as they are inboard so get less wheather chucked at them

regards malcolm
OzRX4
My Cars:

Post by OzRX4 »

Machined drums, over-sized rebonded shoes(on different backings) new wheel cylinders and new front pads will al go on ina couple of days.

OzRX4
My Cars:

Post by OzRX4 »

Oh, what a drama this actually caused.
The workshop that did the work, sent the shoes out to be relined as they don't do that in house anymore. Someone at one place or the other got the measurements wrong. I had to take the drums back once for resizing as they wouldn't go over the shoes then I had to remove the shoe assemblies from car to take those back too as the drums reached their final thin-ness and legal depth. Finally it's all together and I will be using these guys again as they were gracious in doing the re-working and not complaining about anything. I think I scored a few points too as they were doing a Peugeot 306 at the time my stuff was there and I gave them some advice that helped their process along :) Also, left the old wheel cylinders with them to see if there is any way of re-sleeving Bendix wheel cylinders rather than buying new each time. Hopefully, this will bear good news down the track. It'll save some Pug/Cit/Renault owners some money one day maybe.
have to go back there soon when i have the rear discs on the Scenic changed and get bearings pressed into the new discs

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

didn't that work out more costly and hasle than just buying new parts, i would not have thought it is viable to go tht route you tokk these days,

and to get a drum back on after fitting and adjustting new shoes i just buff the lip of the drum away with flap wheel

regards malcolm
OzRX4
My Cars:

Post by OzRX4 »

Definitely cheaper. When you look at the fact that even the wheel cylinders in Australia are $175 each from Peugeot or $235 each from Citroen, for the same part mind you . The drums were only $15 each to have machined and shoes were $55. new drums would be $150 each or so and shoes probably $150.
Parts prices down here are stupid because there are enough people out there who believe the tirany of distance is the problem. :evil:
Yeah, it was a hassle but at least I was able to do it myself.(that's what my wife tells me anyway)

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

and we in the UK thought we were hard done by, that lot would come to more than the car is worth, well this side of the plannet anyhow

maybe we will have to find a way of doing a parts relay system to AUS from UK, so you guys down under can getr cheaper parts,

so who'z game for the first leg

regards malcolm