97 Xantia TD needs new spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms

97 Xantia TD needs new spheres

Post by ohms »

Hi guys,

My 97 P reg Xantia TD Dimension LX needs 4 new spheres, it's getting a bit choppy.
I noticed that they list hydractive and non-hydractive...What's the difference, and any ideas which my TD needs??:)

Also, is there a comfier option available than the standards? Would rather have the ride nice and soft. 8)
91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If it's an LX then it should be non-hydractive.
Easy way to check is to look at the metal pipes going into the front suspension spheres at the top.
If they're small then it's non-hydractive, if they're about 6mm across then it's hydractive.

It would be worthwhile checking when the rear centre sphere (known as the anti-sink because it's fitted to cars with anti-sink valves) and the front centre (accumulator) were last checked.
Easy way to see if you need a new accumulator (it's your emergency brake pressure so very important) is to have the car running and listen for it ticking.
If the ticks are less than a minute apart, it's time for a new accumulator sphere and most likely time for a new anti-sink sphere.

Sphere changing is easy with either a pleides tool or a home made tool (see my guide here)

Don't forget for the rear spheres because they tend to be tight, set the car on high supported by axle stands and load the boot up with friends, then use the tool to just loosen the sphere a crack before setting it on low and depressurising the system to remove the spheres (with the axles stands supporting the rear, the car will tilt giving you plenty of room underneath). If you don't put weight in the boot and set it to high, then you risk just spinning the rear suspension struts and doing damage.

A/S sphere needs the pipe removing before you remove the sphere.

Never work under the car unless it is supported by axle stands.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If you are going to replace spheres, it would be a good idea to do the whole job of hydraflushing, cleaning filters and replacing the LHM. The difference will be astounding.

There is a full guide to the task here. Lots of words but not a difficult job at all.

As Xac says, for the accumulator and rear spheres, there is no substitute for a proper sphere tool. Most oil filter/chain/band/webbing wrenches just don't cut the mustard, especially for the rears which can both be massively tight and must be started under full system pressure. Xac's tool works exceedingly well :D

As for the comfort option, have a natter with Pleiades. Martin is incredibly friendly, helpful and a mine of knowledge on all matters Citroen hydraulics and can recharge your existing spheres if they have not gone past the point of no return.

I say it again. Support the car firmly before venturing under. Xantias can KILL if the suspension suddenly collapses and you're underneath it unsupported.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Using Jim's excellent guide, I recently did the complete job for the first time. Jim subsequently suggested another useful time-saver: loosen the pipe on the A/S sphere, crack off the A/S sphere itself, then hold the pipe's flare nut while unscrewing the sphere - a 2 for 1 offer!

The rear spheres WILL be unbelievably tight - you really DO need a special wrench.

My post in Jim's thread mentions removing the hydraulic pipe retainer from the side of the tank - I should have added this photo

Note the shiny new sphere in the background!

To change all 6 spheres, change the LHM, clean hydraulic tank and filters and bleed the brakes thoroughly took me less than 5 hours in total. The brakes will need bleeding to remove ancient LHM and a good Citarobics session to get any air out of the suspension lines too.

YES the ride and handling have been transformed - but now the N/S/F rollbar drop-link needs replacing! :(
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Wow, that's one hell of an Avatar :shock:
Edit; well it was a minute ago :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Oops - wrong version! :oops:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom