xantia engine management lamp / loss of power / limp home

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kr1s
My Cars:

xantia engine management lamp / loss of power / limp home

Post by kr1s »

Hi all

I have a 2000 V xantia sx hdi with an annoying problem.

The car feels sluggish and every other day it will go into limp home mode and the management lamp comes on. After a stop/start it seems to clear then after a while the lamp goes out.

The whole cycle then repeats after a few days.

I had the faults read which was the ECU but Im reluctant to remove the connector to check for corrosion in case its irrepairable?

Any ideas ?

Many Thanks
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

depending on what the fault code was? should be a PO685 type code or similar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The most common cause of such faults (limp home mode on HDi's) is a build up of gunge/faulty solenoid on the turbo boost/EGR vacuum pipes which are located close to the O/S/F suspension strut. Pull the pipes off and try giving them a blow through and make sure you put the 'T' piece back together the same way as it was removed as the hole on one of the ports is much smaller to restrict airflow. Citroën issued a service bulletin on this as it is a common occurrence.

I also had a similar fault code (faulty ECU) generated on my HDi which wouldn't clear in the usual way (even with my Lexia) until I used the Lexia to reset the ECU (a different procedure).
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
kr1s
My Cars:

Post by kr1s »

Thanks Dickie - will give it a try tonight - sounds promising and ties in with the lag Im experiencing