Instrument Panel Mk II Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Instrument Panel Mk II Xantia

Post by hirsty »

Help required !!!
I am sure that I have read somewhere on here that I can remove the instrument panel without removing the dash or steering wheel. Is this correct ?
The reason is twofold:
1) My rev counter needle has stuck at max and despite thumping the dash and flicking the needle centre, it won't go back. Would disconnecting the battery and reconnecting help ? ( I have the radio code to reset.)
2) Several of the dash lights are not working/intermittent and I would like to replace these. I assume they are bulbs cos when I thump the top of the dash some work for a while.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

You can remove the instrument panel on the S1 without removing the wheel, but it's a bit of a fiddle because the steering cowl doesn't split. I haven't tried it on an S2 but I think it would be easier if anything.

I've heard of people drilling a tiny hole in the instrument glass so they can put a pin through and nudge the rev counter needle back.

Allegedly you aren't supposed to be able to replace bulbs in the S2 panel but as far as I know you can.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

On S2 Xantia's the instrument panel can be removed without removing the wheel although you'll need to remove the panel which runs across the dash just below the instruments, to do that you'll need a Torx 20 driver for about 25 screws!

The rev counter needle most probably spun round when the car was started with a flat battery, the only ways to get it back to the start is by either squeezing a thin piece of wire in alongside the trip reset button or by removing the instrument panel and flipping it over. Disconnecting the battery won't work.

The bulbs are replaceable, IIRC the bulbs are R286.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Thanks for the info DickieG. How do I access these Torx screws ? Do I need to remove the frame surrounding the radio and heater controls and do I have to remove the top half of the column shield ?
Sorry to be a pain but I can't see any screws, only the wood strip beneath the instrument panel.
After 30+ years of company cars, I am having to learn all over again.
( and I have to pay myself!!! )
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've actually got a MkII Xantia steering wheel shrouding right next to me on my computer desk - hows that for a coincidence! :lol:

In fact, as its on my desk, and I want to test out the camera on my new phone I've taken a picture for you Keith!

The three blue arrows (apart from the top one which shows where the steering wheel would be in relation to the shrouding) are where the T20 torx screws are.
Hope this helps

EDIT: To take it off, it looks like once the screws are undone you pull the top bit towards the steering wheel and twist it upwards, unless you push the bottom bit back?
Anyway, be careful when taking the shrouding off as there are little fiddly tabs that keep everything clipped in and snap easily.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

hirsty wrote:Thanks for the info DickieG. How do I access these Torx screws ? Do I need to remove the frame surrounding the radio and heater controls and do I have to remove the top half of the column shield ?
Sorry to be a pain but I can't see any screws, only the wood strip beneath the instrument panel.
After 30+ years of company cars, I am having to learn all over again.
( and I have to pay myself!!! )
The column shroud has to come off, open the fuse box as there are a couple under there, then remove the little panel to the right of the column as well as the radio frame (two screws underneath by the ashtray be prepared for a tug to break the frame free) and remove the radio (got the code?) as there are a few tucked right up behind the clock and the little fan on the far left.

BTW don't forget the one holding the instrument panel at the top just under the instrument shroud, then gently poke a screwdriver under there to lever the panel forward.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Thanks Guys, really helpful. Camera works fine red_dwarfers. Will practise hanging upside down before attempting !!!

Keith
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Finally got round to doing this today. Armed with all the helpful info from the forum, I removed loads of screws and eventually got the instrument panel out. The rev counter needle was trapped between the perspex cover and took a few thumps to free, but finally went back and worked perfectly. Changed all the tiny capless bulbs on the panel lights and now have to wait for darkness before the big switch on.
Not really a difficult job and was amazed that I had no screws left after completion!!!
Thanks to all for their help

Keith