Camshaft & Valve positioning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

with head fitted and belt of you MUST NOT KEEP ROTATING THE CRANCK, or you WILL BEND VALVES,

what i actualy said was whilst the head is still off, 1 and 4 piston at TDC rotate the cranck say anti clock wise by about 2 to 3 sprocket teeth,

then onece the head is fitted return the cranck clock wise 2 to 3 teeth till the woodruf key is at 12 oclock,

this should then line the rear edge of the woodruf key up with the front edge of the small raised block in the castting above just above the cranck sprocket

now to line the hole in the flywheel up you will only need to rockthe crack pully bolt quarter of a sprocket tooth or so before the pin will drop into the flywheel

IT IS ADVISABLE TO REMEMBER WHICH WAY YOU ROTATED THE CRACK BACK OFF TDC IN THE FIRST PLACE

regards malcolm
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

MarkeT wrote:I thought Malcolm inferred it could be backed up a bit - sounds safer than spinning the crank 360 degrees, that's all.
I now understand what your doing and the best way is to release the cam as they do when they spring after a certain point ( ensure piston 1 is half way down the cylinder ) this ensures there will be no valve/piston strike then set the top end up then the bottom end the cam will be locked with a 10mm bolt so no chance of hitting them when you set the bottom end up as long as you go go past TDC

deleted that last bit "bad information" as pointed out by citronut :wink:
Last edited by TBONE on 20 Oct 2008, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it certaily dose matter which way you rotate the crank when bringing it back to TDC with the head in place, even if you dont bring it right up the TDC the wrong direction No. 2 and 3 piston will still come up and make contact with the valves,

THE PISTONS ARE PROUD OF THE BLOCK WHEN AT THE TOP OF THERE STROKE

regards malcolm
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

your right of course I wasn't thinking straight for a mo there, good of you to point it out :)
if I said it the right way like do the bottom first because the all valves would be in the closed position then it wouldn't mater which way you turned the crank because you set the cam up last and its only a 90 degree turn to set it up :oops:
Last edited by TBONE on 20 Oct 2008, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats ok then TBONE i'll let you off this time TEA HE

regards malcolm