c5 quandary

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

c5 quandary

Post by myglaren »

My blowers packed up a few weeks ago.

After a suitable period of mourning, prevaricating and procrastinating I went to see the nice man at the Citroen dealers who sold me a 'resistor pack' and a few other bits (long story)* and included a nice discount, not sure why but who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth.
I had already removed the trim (weeks ago) but couldn't find the damned thing until I had the new one to know what to look for.
Fortunately it was reasonably easy to swap and the blowers are working fine again. Replacing the trim is proving to be more of a challenge which leads me to think that the score in the mechanical aptitude test was a complete freak.

When I took the old one to bits ( thinking that if it really is a resistor pack, I could replace any dead resistors and keep it as a spare) it is packed with surface mount components including a few resistors but the prime mover appears to be a power transistor or triac in a TO 220 package.
Having seen that I was somewhat mollified at the price charged for what I had taken to be a few resistors.

However, all that is just preamble. What really intrigued me when grovelling around in the muck below the steering wheel was that at the base of the steering column, one either side, were a pair of connectors (loose) and near them a pair of pins, seemingly cunningly designed and located to have the connectors pushed skillfully onto them, which I proceeded to do.

Nothing blew up (Hurray!)
On the other hand, nothing that wasn't working before is working now, as far as I am aware. (Boo!) I had hoped the reversing lights might have decided to work again but no such luck.

Has anyone any idea of what these connectors/pins may be? a picture may help, so here is one:

* I had a major service last week, including replacing the cambelt, tensioners and water pump, which naturally involved renewing the coolant.

On Tuesday I had the car MOT'd and when I went to collect it, all was OK except the tester was wet and the pit full of water - well , not full but pretty wet.
Apparently one of the cooling system bleed caps had blown off and dumped most of the coolant into the pit. They had topped it up and taken one of the tyre valve dustcaps to seal the cooling system.

I therefore bought a heap of Citroen antifreeze and a proper replacement cap. One day I may even put them where they belong.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Do you mean the green connector plugs in the top left of your photo? I couldn't make out any others.

Regards, Adam.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Does it bong when you select reverse? That might tell you if the problem is in the lights themselves or further up the line. Clean up all the connections in the tail lights and associated plugs, bad connections can cause seemingly unrelated problems- in my case bad connections the brake lights caused problems with the rear wiper and suspension pump :shock:

Absolutely no idea about your mystery plug though.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

addo wrote:Do you mean the green connector plugs in the top left of your photo? I couldn't make out any others.

Regards, Adam.
No, they are for the blower module.

They are two black, mushroom-like rubber things either side of the steering column where it passes throught the floor.

Only one is visible in the photo, the other obscured by the brake pedal.

redblack68, no the bong dissapeared too. It was ages before I realised it wasn't working and every now and again it does work, breifly.
TBH I don't miss it, or the reversing lights.
Lights, switch and connections have all been checked, not to say we haven't missed something though.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

looks like a bung from were im sitting, maybe for when the heater matrix starts to leak so you can pull the plug to let the coolant escape TEA HE, has your traffic master started working or even talking in japanese

regards malcom
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:looks like a bung from were im sitting, maybe for when the heater matrix starts to leak so you can pull the plug to let the coolant escape TEA HE, has your traffic master started working or even talking in japanese

regards malcom
The TrafficMaster started working three months after I bought the car. At first I thought it was telling me I had been Gatsoed (again).
It is disabled now.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

quandary indeed it seems the C5 has many at least the first edition, second did away with a few so whats next I wonder? my next car could be an Audi a8 if I dream hard enough but my love would be a DS Citroen :wink: