central locking and keypad

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

casperdog2
My Cars:

central locking and keypad

Post by casperdog2 »

I have just got a p reg xantia. and it has a couple of things that Id like a bit of advice on.
A. The central locking will work on the key but not with the remote. I have changed the roof sensor out of my old car and the sensor in the key because I know that these two work but they wont work in the P reg.
B. on the key pad the red light is flashing all the time even when the engine is running, I was told by the seller that the car in in service mode and he has just left it as it is, Ive tried to put the code in as it says in the book but the keys make no noise, Would it be best to start the engine and disconect the pad. I dont want to lock up the engine so I decided to try the best xantia maual which is this forum.would the servic mode lock out the key sensor :? :?
when in doubt get a bigger hammer
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

flashing red light isn't a service mode it means either the key pad has been immobilized by the owner or its not excepting the code,

programming the remote.......................

system operation:

press lock button once activates central locking.
pressing lock button twice within 5 seconds activates double locking.

synchronization:
when,

key battery replaced.
if buttons operated repeatedly while vehicle is out of range the system becomes inoperative.

how:

switch ignition on.
wait for system LED to extinguish - if fitted.
within 30 seconds press lock button or unlock button.
ensure system LED illuminated approx 0,5 seconds.
synchronization procedure now complete.
confirm synchronization has been successful by locking and double locking and unlocking.

programming:

when key added or replaced.
system malfunction.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the keypad is flashing its red light even whilst the engine is running, it means it has remained in the normal immobilised mode that you'd expect to see when the ignition is off. The engine should not run under this circumstance.

I presume it's not bleeping when you try a start as a good immobilised keypad will.

I'd suggest it has been tampered with to defeat it. Normally, this is achieved simply by disconnecting it when the engine is running. If the red light is on though, it has not been disconnected at the immobiliser end.

If your Xantia is a 1.9TD Diesel with the Bosch pump, have a look at teh three cobnnectors on the pump. The black one in the middle with the rounded edges is the immobiliser connector. Is it home and in place. Is the pump armour intact? If it has been removed, can you see any stray, new wires in the vicinity of the stop solenoid to suggest someone may have ran a new ignition-switched supply to the stop solenoid?

If you find the black plug disconnected, don't reconnect it just yet, you may lock out your immobilier and render the car unstartable.

If it's a petrol Xantia, then I'm not very sure as the immobilisation function is built into the ECU and is not easy to defeat, except by some clever reprogramming of the ECU.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

basically the system has been switched off and not bad considering the key pay is a pain but it must be complimented with an alarm system if you feel this type of car would be stolen if at all and that's why I like them
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

TBONE wrote:basically the system has been switched off and not bad considering the key pay is a pain
On diesels it gives you something to do while you're waiting for the glow plug light to go out :D

(also helps for those moments when you want to turn the engine over but not start the car - like when removing a stubborn crank bolt)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: (also helps for those moments when you want to turn the engine over but not start the car - like when removing a stubborn crank bolt)
..and for initially priming the engine after an oil change :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

To programme the remote for your car the procedure is different from what TBONE describes as its infra red, use a spare key to turn the ignition to position one (or two can't recall offhand) then "fire" the remote to be programmed from close range at the sensor, job done.

If you have "issues" with the keypad and are concerned it may leave you stranded you can simply unplug it when the engine is running.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

3 button type 2001 xara/xantia HDI xantia was not made after 2001 and only had the 2 button type but im sure you will correct me if im wrong ( not sure if it can be updated to the 3 button type though ) and of course your right there dickieg its is that simple to resync the remote 8)

without double locking:
press lock button once activates central locking and alarm.
with double locking:
press lock button once activates double locking system and alarm.
pressing unlock button again deactivates locking system and alarm.

synchronization:
when,
key battery replaced.
if buttons pressed repeatedly out of rage the system becomes inop.
key remote control added or replaced.

HOW:

switch ignition on.
press and hold lock button for 10 seconds.
switch ignition off.
wait 3 seconds.
synchronization complete.
repeat the the above for and other remote controls then test to see
if it works.

programming:
when,
key remote control added or replaced.
system malfunction.

how,
obtain all keys.
obtain owners vehicle security card.
replacement key remote controls can only be programmed using diagnostic equipment
casperdog2
My Cars:

central locking with keypad

Post by casperdog2 »

Thanks for the advice lads, I unplugged the keypad as I dont want to risk the engine not starting whilst I am trying to get the alarm to work.
the alarm works ok because I disconected the battery and when I put it back on the alarm worked ok so there must be a fault at the sensor end of the alarm and central locking.As I said before I tried the sensors out of the other car but it will be a different setup as one is 96 and the other is 97, I must try and get a 96 roof sensor from somewhere. but I will keep plugging away until I find the problem.
when in doubt get a bigger hammer
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

the 96 and 97 are the same but you could check fuses f 17 alarm system control module and f 21 central locking also the central locking ECM which is under the hand break cover and the alarm ECM under the passenger seat door side back of the seat under the carpet