Braking issues on a 2.1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Braking issues on a 2.1

Post by KP »

Anyone any idea what could cause what the person here is describing??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-CITROEN-XANT ... 286.c0.m14

I was thinking of removing the spring bit of the peddle and putting something hard in there as well as flushing out the LHM as well and maybe the pads too??

maybe a project for someone??
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

OMG!
So tempted to bid on that, would be ideal to test a 1.9TD IP swap on!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Well yes there is that and the fact you would likely get good money for the Epic an injectors once removed....

Really low milage as well....

Go on Xac you go for it :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

You're evil KP, but I like you :D

Bid placed.
Not likely to win it though.

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ahh i would cancel that bid and leave it to the last minute.
Any item i win is generally in the last 2 mins of auction or less unless its BIN....

Good luck though! :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's likely to go way higher than what I've put as my maximum (unless no one else notices it)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

every one on here will have noticed it now

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A 2.1TD Estate :D Very desirable.

Looks a tad scruffy in places though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The link crashes Opera so I haven't a clue what it might be but regarding bidding - DON'T.

Instead, snipe it with Auctionstealer UK.

I never bid on anything, just decide the upper limit I'm prepared to pay for an item then snipe it. Your bid goes in approximately 10 seconds before the end of the auction - you can still be outbid of course but that's how auctions go. It does help to limit uneccessary ramping of the price (which is what the seller wants, of course)
You get 3 free snipes per week.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

ebay is pretty good for low cost I use it often as a last resort unless its an a1 motor
deian

Post by deian »

restricted free movement? thats a bit of an oxymoron isn't it.

Sounds like the little bubble/switch under the pedal has burst, there is no mention of leaking though.

Or the calipers have ceased. i.e restricted free movement of the calipers, and the guy botched it up cos he didn't know they "wind" back rather than push hydrauliclly like some cars, maybe the calipers are now off line.

How hard can it be to fix the brakes, whether it's a mechanical or hydraulic problem? Not too taxing for us citroen guys i'm sure.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

deian wrote:How hard can it be to fix the brakes, whether it's a mechanical or hydraulic problem? Not too taxing for us citroen guys i'm sure.
A doddle really :D Sounds like the stock problems, corrosion on the rear calipers for sure and likely on the front too. Handbrake cables may be seized and yes, bad DIY may have killed the front calipers by forcing them. Problem here is that 2.1TD calipers are nearly unique (Activa and 110 HDI may share the same ones) so not freely available in scrappies and a fortune from the Stealers.

I can't help thinking it's rather strange for a car to be put up on the 'bay so cheaply just because of a braking problem. It smells a bit to me. Surely it would not have cost that much to have had it sorted for the MOT?

Still, if genuinely that is all it is, someone might have a bargain...

Xac, there are a number of considerations to fitting a mechanical pump. The engine ECU does much more in a 2.1 than just run the pump. It runs the whole dash for one thing. I'm not at all sure how the ECU will behave with no pump on the end of it. Plus you have to rig up a new throttle cable. I know a 1.9TD ECU is happy without a pump except for the light but a 2.1TD is an unknown quantity in this respect.

Interestingly, I have a 2.1TD pump cradle sitting on my bench. That'll allow an initial test to ensure a Bosch VP20 in fact fits the EPIC cradle.

An interesting project though but I'd rather it was on one with a dead pump...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

What would happen if you used a 1.9td ECU in place of the 2.1TD? is it a plug out plug in type of setup on the xantias?

Also i fear if the pistons have been pushed in as it sounds like then they ould be best going to a refurber possibly or seeing if GSF do them maybe?