R reg Xantia blower fan not working ??? Help !!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Steviebax
My Cars:

R reg Xantia blower fan not working ??? Help !!!

Post by Steviebax »

Hi all.

My wife was driving our R reg Xantia 1.9td back the other day, when the blower just stopped.

I've checked the fuses under the driverside and the all seem good but l'm getting absolutely nothing from the sliding switch. The heater still works fine as l can feel the heat coming out but no blower.

Anyone any ideas ??? I've heard strange stuff about ignition switches, relays, etc etc

Can someone give me some basic pointers so l can try and fault find this ??

The Xantia has aircon and the slide switch goes from auto to max. There was no previous indication, it simply stopped completely half way home.

Any help more then welcome.

Cheers in advance.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Mk1 Xantias are prone to this, and there's a relatively easy fix.
If you do a search for blowers you'll find a big thread on the matter.
Basically the current for the fan goes through the ignition switch, and after 7-10 years it burns out so won't power the fan.
Normally it is still able to provide enough juice to switch a relay, so you install a relay off the ingnition switch and a 12v feed from somewhere else.
Bingo you get your fan back :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is a good idea to do this mod even if the switch has not failed yet. It will and this mod takes all the strain off the switch. Also, not a good idea, apparently, to hang lots of keys off the switch.

Also have a check of the connections (the heavy ones particularly) on the blower speed controller under the blower motor and accessible on removal of the cardboard cover in the passenger footwell. These carry heavy currents, heat up, loose their temper and make a bad connections that gets worse over time until they fail. They'll look hot and bothered if this is the area of the problem.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Yup that's what happened to Cassy's even after doing the mod.
Have had to tweak the connectors in the brown plug to make better contact, all nice and cool now :)

Jim, would it be an idea to have the big blower thread (with the photos on how to do the mod) stickied as it comes up regularly?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Jim, would it be an idea to have the big blower thread (with the photos on how to do the mod) stickied as it comes up regularly?
Excellent idea Xac :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Steviebax
My Cars:

Post by Steviebax »

Thanks for the help guys.

I've just be looking on the forum for that ignition mod and l found some piccies but there in french. Anyone got the english version ???

If l use a multimeter whats the procedure and voltage l need to know to check the power across the blower ???

By the way - l'm good at mechanics but an absolute numpty at electrics !!!
So a ' dumb ass guide ' to the ignition fix would be very much appreciated.

Steve
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Steve,

This is a good threadto start with and contains links to the others.

I've made it sticky.

Basically, put a meter on the thick red and black wires in the brown plug that goes to the blower speed controller under the blower and look for 12V there. Those are the 12V feed from the ignition swiitch. The other thick red and black wires on single connectors are the connections to the blower motor itself from the speed controller.
Jim

Steviebax
My Cars:

Post by Steviebax »

Thanks Jim.

I'll give that a go tomorrow. I think l'll also give the heated rear window a go - see if that's failed aswell.

By all accounts l should do the ignition switch fix.

Step by step instructions and/or pictures would be great.

Steve
Steviebax
My Cars:

Post by Steviebax »

Hi again.

I've found a step by step instruction to the ignition fix.

I'm going to use a 40amp relay to sort it - but what kind of wire do l need as l assume it will be pulling high voltage.

Any one got a spec l can use in my local wire shop ???

steve
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

20 Amps wire, 4 mm circumference, auto electrical wire from car tackle-and-trinket merchants, or equivalent from electrical suppliers.
Did the modification with 20 Amps wire nearly 10 years ago, and it’s still going. :D
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389