98 xantia is it possible to make it sink like the early cars

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

98 xantia is it possible to make it sink like the early cars

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

i have a 1998 xantia and prefer the way the early models sink to the ground after the engine is turned off ,is there any way that i can make my car do this
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

If you realy want it to sink, you can allways do it with the height lever in the car before you switch off the engine. But dont forget to put it back to the middle before driving off.

Regards
Martin.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Must be an easy way to do it, mine does....though it sinks at the front after a good few hours :lol: :lol:

I would probably be a case of bypassing the rear anti sink valve, though thats about as far as my knowlege goes.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

i just want to be able to turn off the engine,i taught the newer versions hav 1 less sphere which doesnt allow them to sink,so maybe its not possible thanks
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The sphere doesn't stop it sinking, it's a valve that does that. What the sphere does is store pressure for when you start the car again, if the sphere is flat the back of the car will drop then rise when you start the car.

As far as I know the sinking versions have a different pump and different plumbing.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

thanks richard
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Anyhow, if the car has sunk down in 'basking shark' mode you'll only
have some muppet park their towbar right in your grille/headlight or in
an Xm's case, the headlight grille surround. I know only too well about
park by touch parking...

another reason NOT to own a glass nosecone'd Sm which would cost
Gazzillions to find/replace.

Andrew
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You wouldn't actually want an anti-sink to sink right down as they take sooooo long to come up again.

I have an original non anti-sink Xantia and the speed at which it rises and falls on the height lever and from a cold start is remarably quick compared to bringing an anti-sink up from full low. It flies up and down on the height lever and is up and ready to go from bump-stops after only about 15-20 seconds. It takes longer than that to put the stop light out on my Activa but granted that has 10 spheres and two big Activa rams to pressurise.

When I first got an anti-sink I thought there was a problem with it because it took so long to rise from low after being used to my sinker for so long.

The sinkers have a 7 piston high capacity pump that really does the job as it also has to supply the power steering.

An anti-sink effectively has two pumps in one housing. A 6 piston for the power steering only and a 2 piston for everything else. The output from the 2 piston side is not huge and hence why it takes so long to rise it up.

A sinker is somehow more of a real Citroen...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

As Jim states, the 2 piston part of the pump is very slow to pick the car up. The main advantage to sinking the car down of course is that it cannot be wheel clamped.

Regards
Martin.
deian

Post by deian »

Pleiades wrote:The main advantage to sinking the car down of course is that it cannot be wheel clamped.
You would also need to deflate ur tyres too, I think they also chain the clamp around ur wheel/axle as well as locking it onto the tyre. And if you take it off yourself then you are damaging their property.

That wouldn't really work, they can still give u a ticket, take ur registration number, tax disk details and take a picture.

There are obvious and somewhat illegal ways to go about not getting a ticket which include the above (which isn't illegal).

Sorry to wee on ur flames Martin.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Pleiades wrote:As Jim states, the 2 piston part of the pump is very slow to pick the car up. The main advantage to sinking the car down of course is that it cannot be wheel clamped.

Regards
Martin.
Round here they'll just cart your car off to the pound on the back of a truck if they can't get a clamp on it for whatever reason... :lol:
deian wrote:And if you take it off yourself then you are damaging their property.
I don't believe they can do you for criminal damage if you replace the padlock after using your bolt cutter on their one. You might want to seek legal advice before trying it though. 8)
ImageImage