Retrofit Trip computer, Xantia HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simoncanfer

Retrofit Trip computer, Xantia HDi

Post by simoncanfer »

I have a Xantia HDi LX. Has anyone retrofitted a trip computer from the higher spec models?

Does anyone have any info on whether a dash from a higher spec model would be a straight swap? Sods law says the wiring/signals wouldn't be there!

TIA
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Trip computer on Xantias?! That would be nice!

Not sure if your in the UK, but here in the UK, Ive never seen a Xantia with a trip computer... A great shame really, I like gimmicks and thats one thing missing. Ive seen LX, Fortes, SX's and currently have an Exclusive HDi 110 here, and nope, no computer.

Iguess all the sensors are there, speed sensor, fuel level, vacuum etc, so it could be done..

The french didn't seem to like trip computers on diesel engines, or at least Citroen! It was always omitted from the XM in diesel cars (Not sure about the 2.5 models though)

Rgds
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroën never fitted a trip computer to any Xantia so you'll have to adapt one from another car/make up your own. Hmm, that'll keep you amused for a day or so :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
deian

Post by deian »

I've always liked the gimmick of a trip computer in a car. Sometimes they can prove quite invaluable, other times they are a nuisance.

On older cars in particular, any calculation of fuel figures won't be as accurate as they used to be.

My old BMW 325i SE (e30) had a cool trip computer, it would warn if you were going over a set speed limit, if the temp went down below 2oC, had, time, date, immobiliser, speed function, timer, fuel data, you also had the lights to show any faults in bulbs, low fluids, worn pads, etc etc. Plus older BMW's have that cool real time fuel consumption gauge that swings as you use the throttle.

The two ph2 Xantia exclusives that I have owned didn't have any trip computer as such, but they do show outside temprature and showed a star if the temp went below 2C, i THINK (the pug 306 did) they had a service interval thing (spanner near the odometer), and they have two mileage counters. Cruise Control would have controlled ur speed to a certain degree.

Fuel consumption, miles left in tank, quantity is what i supoosed you are after, it is possible if you want to make it a project.

As for speed, avg speed, top speed, time, distance, etc you can get all those data from your sat-nav machine.

But the others are right, if you want an unique citroen trip computer, they never made one as such, although the citroen xm 2.0i ct that I had that display in the dash where you could scroll through certain information with the right stalk, it showed fault diagnosis information too.

If you want a citroen spaceship then the early XM is the way to go, although I would go for a later one next time.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

C5 and some Xsara HDi's had a trip computer, but in conjunction with multiplexed wiring. I imagine fitting one of those to a non-multiplexed car would be a complete nightmare.

There is a gadget called Scangauge available now which just plugs into the OBD ll socket and displays info similar to a trip computer, but it seems many PSA diesels were not OBD ll compliant until they absolutely had to be by law (2004??)
simoncanfer

Post by simoncanfer »

Thanks to all! I thought the high spec HDi's had one as standard.

The HDi does have a line, pin63, tantalisingly labelled "fuel consumption information" on the computer according to one source I read, but I'm not about to tear into the ECU...
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

Yep, have seen this on a czech xantia forum. They are using the old board computer from the XM in HDis.
Looks like this:

Source:
Czech, with pictures: http://www.xantiaclub.cz/view.php?cislo ... 2007010001
My german SUMMARY in POSTING #11
http://citforum.de/showthread.php?t=74875

Karel
simoncanfer

Post by simoncanfer »

Thanks! Interesting and encouraging that it can be done. There can't be many XM computers about though!!